• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEWB ??s regarding np228/229

mtcraigco

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I picked up an 86 with the 2.8 v6 at an auction. Spent today re-timing it and straightening out some carb issues, runs like a champ now. BUT, the Hi-N-Low lever is not connected (it moves completely freely) and the selec trac switch is also inoperative.

I've done some searching and am not sure if this is a vacuum disconnect or not. I wouldn't mind fixing the selec trac, but if it's a headache I would be OK with just locking the front end "IN" or even rigging my own vac-switch and bypassing or deleting the factory unit.

Can you folks give me a heads up on what I should find when I crawl under it and go to work to get the front end working?

thanks

The lever engages the transfer case directly with mechanical linkage. You should be able to see that at the transfer case end. This could be your problem if you are not engaging the transfer case.

As for the vacuum disconnect which I think you don't have since you have selec-trac but in case I am wrong you would notice it but a little vacuum motor on the front axle passenger side by the upper control arm mount.

I am thinking you are having trouble in the linkage from the level to the transfer case. Have someone move the lever in and out of 4LO and look at the linkage and see if you can see the problem. As for the selec trac switch I have no idea but I am sure someone on here with chime in.

I can tell you right now that not to many people have experience with the NP229 case which you have with the 86. I have an 86 as well but with the command-trac set up NP207 and a RENIX 2.5L TBI 4 cylinder and it is tough finding people on here with experience with that case.

Back