• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 w/ discs out of a 91 explorer?!

trustjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a ford 8.8 limited slip 3.73 gears with disc brakes out of a 91 2 door explorer for $200. The only reason I can come up with it having the newer axle in it is that it was swapped, or it's not a new axle but just a disc brake conversion? I'm not aware of any early model explorer with the disc 8.8. Maybe someone can shed some light? I'm also about to order 4.56 gears. I hear the motorcraft gears make it a real breeze and that jegs offers them. When looking all around jegs I couldn't find anything but the gears they offer under their name. Are those ford gears? Or am I just overlooking them? Thanks for the help.

Ford MotorSport might get you what your looking for. Good Find!

trustjeep said:
Just picked up a ford 8.8 limited slip 3.73 gears with disc brakes out of a 91 2 door explorer for $200. The only reason I can come up with it having the newer axle in it is that it was swapped, or it's not a new axle but just a disc brake conversion? I'm not aware of any early model explorer with the disc 8.8. Maybe someone can shed some light? I'm also about to order 4.56 gears. I hear the motorcraft gears make it a real breeze and that jegs offers them. When looking all around jegs I couldn't find anything but the gears they offer under their name. Are those ford gears? Or am I just overlooking them? Thanks for the help.
You heard right. You need Ford racing gears and you have to go thru an autherized dealer. Jegs is a dealer.397-M-4209-G456 is the number for 4.56 gears. They cost 65 dollers more than other gear sets but you may save that in time and hassle of setup. Call them to make sure you are on the same page and get the basic install shim kit. 1-800-345-4545.

I've always read that you want to use a '96 or newer axle? What's the main difference between the two. I've got a lead on a '94, not sure of the price because since it wasn't a '96 I didn't ask, but if it will work I'll find out.

Thanks.

Chili Palmer said:
I've always read that you want to use a '96 or newer axle? What's the main difference between the two. I've got a lead on a '94, not sure of the price because since it wasn't a '96 I didn't ask, but if it will work I'll find out.

Thanks.
I think thats because thats when the went to disk breaks.

IIRC the early units were 28 spline.....the disc units are 31 spline

MudDawg said:
IIRC the early units were 28 spline.....the disc units are 31 spline
I thought that all exploder units were 31 spline, but I'm not positive.

PM haleyes
he's got a drum braked 8.8 under his.

The general data available seems to indicate that the drum brake units were all 28 spline and the disc brake units are all 31....the axle I am putting in my MJ this weekend is a '97 model. It has disc and 31 spline axles.

MudDawg said:
The general data available seems to indicate that the drum brake units were all 28 spline and the disc brake units are all 31....the axle I am putting in my MJ this weekend is a '97 model. It has disc and 31 spline axles.
that may be possible, I'm not entirely sure.
mine came from a 99.
you going SOA on the MJ?
I kept mine SUA, as I didn't want to have 6" of lift in the rear.

I'm pretty sure ALL Exploders have 31 spline shafts, regardless of brake type or year.

Summit Racing carries Ford Motor Sports R&P sets, though I got mine on eBay (as well as the FMS install kit). Too bad you're looking for 4.56s as I have a NIB set of FMS 4.10 gears I bought before I decided to go 4.56 instead.

MudDawg said:
Your general data is incorrect.
My 8.8 is a drumed and 31 spline, counted them twice.;) It's out of a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac.

Like Nate said earlier, If it came out of an Explorer, it is 31 spline.

Hale

hope that's true, because if it's just a disc conversion and the older drum axles DO have 28 spline shafts I'm gonna be a little upset.

Forgot to ask... what about the ford gears make the installation so much easier than say, yukon gears? What's the difference?

Last edited:
Back