• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Writeup on installing headunit? or taking apart dash

Motorvated

NAXJA Forum User
Well tomorrow I go on the journey of instaling my new pioneer headunit. ANybody have a writeup on doing it? Just to see how the dash comes apart

We need year before we can tell you how to do it.

idk about yours since u didnt put the year but on my 01 the center part w/ the heat controls head unti and shit just pops right off and its very simple

I gotta '91, and after a few obvious screws in the gauge window and along the bottom the dash face pops right out. For the aftermarket stereo, I used and recomend an aftermarket to stock wiring harness adapter. I also used a piece of foam rubber on the bottom of the stereo chasis for offroad vibration, and mounted the chasis to the dash with plumbers tape & screws from a hardware store. I gotta slam some rocks to skip the CD.

My guess would be yours in a 97. Just pop out the center bezel thingy that goes around your radio, vents, heater controls. No screws or anything. Once that is off, there are 2 bolts holding the head unit in, if I remember correctly. Remove, radio slides out, unplug factory wiring and antennae. Plug adaptor into factory plug, make splice connections to the new head unit plug wiring. Assuming you got a mounting kit that will adapt the size difference, follow thier directions for that. Install is reverse of removal. :cheers:

He has 1997, just pull the center piece right off, no screws, nothing, might want to put the shifter in L1 for more clearance..

Couldn't be simpler

Motorvated said:
Well tomorrow I go on the journey of instaling my new pioneer headunit. ANybody have a writeup on doing it? Just to see how the dash comes apart

just use a sawzall and cut the old radio out and duct the new one in! lol

so how do you have more post then me and I showed you this site - damn it!

awsome thanks for the tips guys! I got the install kit and all the wiring harnesses. I didnt feel like cutting wires or anything...so its ALL plug and play. I was gonna wait until tomorrow, but i THINK I want to go rip it apart now lol.

ok...wuik question. There is a GRONUD plug on the factory harness. It plugge dinto the back of the stock headunit. The wiring harness from the PIONEER headunit has a ground wire, that should atatch to a screw somewhere in the dash. Does the ground wire from the factory headunit have to be plugged in?

Did that male spade connector come with the harrness? And to you simply strip the wire and than connect the two?

on my xj, the factory connector on the jeep's wiring harness (NOT on the stereo) is a female spade connector. i simply took a normal male spade connector and crimped it onto the new harness. then that got plugged into the factory wiring in the dash's female spade connector

You could cut off the spade connector and directly splice it to the headunit wiring. Or extend both to ground them both on a bare metal spot on the "frame", although spade or splice would be easiest.

Got it installed....sounds better than stock! I have pioneer speakers all the way around. Got all of the amp wires run, turns out my amp is shot. Hasnt been installed since it was under a foot of water in the TJ...that might have done it :)

Back