• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's do this low budget stroker thing again

ratherbcamping

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2000 4.0 engine that was pulled at 70,000 miles for.... can you guess.... yes, it had a cracked head. I only paid $51 for it and bought it mainly for the intake and TB which were still attached. I pulled it apart last weekend and other than the cracked head the engine is very clean.

Anyway, I was thinking about cleaning it up and building a stroker. Here's what I was thinking. Is there a reason this won't work or will the end result be unacceptable?

Clean up the block and hone the cylinders which slow no real wear.
Reuse the 4.0 pistons with new rings.
Use 258 rods (which I already have but need to be refurbished).
Install the 258 crank (I have a new one in the original AMC OEM box).
Reuse the cam, lifters and push rods.
Install my 0630 head off my 96 donor after it comes back from the shop.
Replace all seals and gaskets.
Use the 2000 intake and the 96 stock exhaust header.

Is it this easy or am I missing something?

Thanks for the feedback,
Tom

As long as the cylinder walls check out I don't see a problem with it. Mine Looked OK but I went ahead and bored them as I wanted it to go another 100K plus with the stroker. It did however have 190K on it when I tore it down :).

While its torn down at least have the block vatted to clean it up. And also be sure you keep your lifters in order if your going to re-use them.

Back