• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rattle can paint job questions

mikedashg

NAXJA Forum User
How many spray cans doesn't it take to paint an XJ w/ 1 coat?

Thinking about light sanding, and paint. Or if I change color, harder sand, prime, and paint.

Also thinking maybe it's not worth the trouble (or how crappy it will look since I have no paint experience) and take it to a cheap place for a one shot couple hundred dollar paint job.

hmmm...
http://www.kpg-industrial.com/products/rust_tough_acrylic_enamel_aerosol/
OSHA yellow? :D

mikedashg said:
How many spray cans doesn't it take to paint an XJ w/ 1 coat?

Thinking about light sanding, and paint. Or if I change color, harder sand, prime, and paint.

Also thinking maybe it's not worth the trouble (or how crappy it will look since I have no paint experience) and take it to a cheap place for a one shot couple hundred dollar paint job.

hmmm...
http://www.kpg-industrial.com/products/rust_tough_acrylic_enamel_aerosol/
OSHA yellow? :D

I'd take it in to a cheapo paint shop, Earl Scheib or somesuch.

Just painted mine. I didnt have any experience either, but I picked up a HF sprayer setup (HVLP gun ) bought a gallon of acrylic enamel from the paint shop and got with it. Looks damn good too! Actually, I tried to rattle can it and it came out shitty so I had to fix it somehow! I had 9 cans into it and I was still coming up short. Honestly man, it's an XJ...you cant really screw it up THAT bad! JMO

I used 10 cans of Rustoleum Professional (the cans are bigger), and it took 10 cans to do 2 coats. It turned out pretty good. I painted yellow over black.

I would not take it too maaco, the paint will start to peel in about a month and youll have to redo it anyways. Paint guns are pretty cheap these days and ive seen some for around $40. Then you can use some tractor paint and it should turn out pretty good.

Whatever you do NOT RATTLE CAN they never cover even. And your trigger finger never recovers either.

if you use a semi glos or flat paint it will be a little easier to get a uniform look than trying to use gloss with no painting know how , just 2 cents from a prehistoric painter . and try not to paint it when temp is over 75 or in direct sunlight , that will surely make it look like dog balls . good luck . if you decide to do it yourself and have any ???? I would be glad to help you out .

2000_XJ said:
I would not take it too maaco, the paint will start to peel in about a month and youll have to redo it anyways. Paint guns are pretty cheap these days and ive seen some for around $40. Then you can use some tractor paint and it should turn out pretty good.

Maaco did a great job for me. Cost $700 (had some body work done too) It's been a couple months and looks great. I have 3 different friend from my 4x4 club that have gone their over the last two years. Zero complaints. Maybe it's all in which one you go to?

I was refering to their really cheap like $250 paint job, i have heard some good things but alot more bad stories. But im glad that yours turned out good

If you're going to go cheap, you might also consider some "truck & trailer" paint or even tractor paint, both of which you can get from Tractor Supply for like 25 bucks a gallon. Also comes in rattle cans for touch up.

Painted my first xj with foam rollers and rust paint. Total 40.00 with sand paper. 4 coats looked better then cheep spray (paint drys slow and looks slightly orange peel) no overspray, light sand between coats, and easy to touch up. I will never spray truck again. 2 years and 2 salty winters looked good enough to sell for 2000.00 (truck was 20yrs old with 500,000km on it) (motor was new and leather seats)

Bored400 said:
Just painted mine. I didnt have any experience either, but I picked up a HF sprayer setup (HVLP gun ) bought a gallon of acrylic enamel from the paint shop and got with it. Looks damn good too! Actually, I tried to rattle can it and it came out shitty so I had to fix it somehow! I had 9 cans into it and I was still coming up short. Honestly man, it's an XJ...you cant really screw it up THAT bad! JMO

All good ideas guys. Maybe...

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=spray+gun&Submit=Go

+

Tractor Paint

I have been considering painting mine with Rustoleum hammerite paint. It leaves a hammered appearance and is hard to screw up. It comes in about 4 colors. If I do this I will spray it with a pressure gun. It is an oil based paint and when dry it is almost as durable as powder coat.

I rattle can painted my old rig and it came out pretty good.I did it 3 tone blue camo and it took about 6-7 cans of primer and about 6-8 cans (total) of paint.I used gloss paint which obviously sprayed on pretty uneven so I sprayed flat clearcoat over the paint and it evened things out nicely.
I think I had about $100-$125 into the whole paint job.

Heres a couple of crappy pics from 3-4 years ago but their the best ones I have.

NewToy006.jpg

PDRV0002.jpg

Word of advice for anyone wanting to paint any vehicle themselves, your paint job will only be as good as your prep!!! The more attention to detail with sanding, and dent pulling, and mudding certain areas; the better your paint job will come out. Believe me I've painted several vehicles, mine and friends, your prep work will come through the paint, good or bad! The better the prep the better the outcome, and don't be scared get out there and start sanding! Just ask, someone like my self can tell you what sand paper, glaze, fiberglass, mudd, and primer you might need.

Here are a few pics of my paint job:
DSCN1455.jpg

And

DSCN1454.jpg

Now, to let you all know, I did this paint job with a foam roller from home desperate and 1 pint of rustolium gloss white and some mineral spirits. I sanded the heck out of it before painting. I didnt prime it at all becouse I knew that since I was painting over dark blue and black and light blue and whatever ever colors were there, that it would take several coats anyway.

I used truck bed liner for the bottom parts in black.
All told, I have about 50 bucks into paint and supplies. Everyone that has seen it up close has been really surprised that it came out looking so good.
If you take your time and do several light coats with some light wet sanding in between coats, it will shine like a new dime.
The thing I like the most about this paint job, is that WHEN I scratch and dent it, it takes a little spray paint to touch it up and it looks good again.

Now this is NOT my DD, I use it for trail only so I only painted it to make it a little more picture friendly and to keep the rust at bay, but all in all I am happy with it and it was cheap.

Good luck

P.S. Just do a search on the 50 dollor rustolium paint job, thats what I did.

Back