• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sensor?

lacherokee96

NAXJA Forum User
I just got back from a trip and found a sensor of some sort broken on my xj. It was right above the oil filter, actually it was screwed in to the same piece of the engine block as the oil filter. just wondering what it is and were to get a new one

i think the oil pressure sensor is over there.. do you have any lights on in the dash? or an oil pressure gauge? if the gauge isnt working its probably the oil pressure sensor

does it look something like this?
100548.jpg

thats what it is then, go to your local parts store and ask for an oil pressure gauge switch. there should be a connector swinging around under there somewhere with the other part of the switch, its easy to fix. if the whole wire got ripped out with the connector you've got bigger problems. good luck

Whoever changed your oil last broke that sensor when loosening the oil filter. One slip with the oil filter wrench and its done. I've broke a few of them in my days so I keep a couple of extra in the garage.

Might be a good idea to keep a spare one yourself because sometimes they will just crack them at the oil change place and a couple hundred miles later it starts spewing oil out the crack that will leave you stranded somewhere.
You are also oiling everything you drive over if that happens. That can't be good for the enviroment now can it ?

mikeforte said:
Might be a good idea to keep a spare one yourself because sometimes they will just crack them at the oil change place and a couple hundred miles later it starts spewing oil out the crack that will leave you stranded somewhere.
You are also oiling everything you drive over if that happens. That can't be good for the enviroment now can it ?

it's oil..... where'd it come from? please put the used oil back where you found it, and help save the environment by returning things to how they used to be!

just kiddin-- but a spare is a great insurance policy if you let someone else do the oil changes (along with an extra quart of oil) !!!!

--Shorty

Ayuh - I keep a spare in the toolbox, and a largish pair of pliers is standard road kit (as is a 1/8"NPT pipe plug - just in case I managed to trash one somewhere.)

A couple of tips:
1) Use "red moly" grease or engine assembly lube to lube the o-ring on the filter - not oil. Both of those will stick better in use, and release better when you take them off.
2) Turn the oil filter to not more than "contact + one-half turn." This means that when the oil filter O-ring makes contact, you have one-half turn only to go. This is where the lube monkeys screw up...
3) Work on your grip and forearm strength. If you've done the install right, you don't need a wrench to take the filter off when you change it.

The only tool I need for an oil change is a 9/16" wrench for the drain plug - and I'm working on an acceptable tool-less solution for that as well (probably find it in my Russell catalogue, if I could be arsed to look.) That should be all you need as well - if you've put the filter on properly, then it comes off easily and without tools.

Back