• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 XJ 4x4 Ball Joint Installation & Split Ring Seat Adjustment

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm rebuliding the front axle of my 1989 XJ 4x4 and have a few questions regarding the ball joints and the lower ball joint split ring seat setting.

My steering knuckles do not work with the FSM setting for the lower ball joint split ring seat setting of 5.23 mm (.206 in). Has anyone else experienced this? If yes, how did you determine the correct setting for your split ring seat depth? I think the main thing I need to know is the reason(s) why the FSM states these values.

I think the idea behind the settings is that when the knuckle rotates it should not bind the upper joint dust boot. If the elevation of the knuckle were too high due to an incorrect split ring seat setting I think this condition could create too much friction between the steering knuckle and the upper ball joint dust boot. However, this is just a guess as the knuckle should not ride any higher on the joint stem than the taper.

Any other ideas? I'm hoping someone out there has a lot of front end experience.

Thanks,

Rick

Use the recommended setting and finish tightening with the tire on the ground and the vehicle weight on the ball joints.

Thanks 8Mud,

Your suggestion makes sense. I was hoping the FSM setting could be used as it does represent a known reference.

Rick

Unfortunately, this suggestion did not work. I will measure both steering knuckles tomorrow to see if I have a different vertical distance between the two.

Even worse, I've discovered the 90 degree grease fitting for the lower ball joint is too tall so the universal joint yoke would rip it off if I keep it installed after servicing the ball joint. The split ring seat adjustment cannot remove this interference.

I have also learned this is why Moog supplies both the 90 degree zirc and a cap so the joint can be plugged after servicing.

I did search a few hardware stores to locate a plug for the ball joints I purchased from AutoZone but the thread pitch is unique (almost M6x1.00). So to avoid making a research project out of this aspect of the front end rebuild I'm going to remove these and return them to AutoZone. I simply cannot perform this product research for the manufacturer.

I'll be replacing these with either Moog or XRF to get around this final issue to getting my vehicle back on the road.

Thanks,

Rick

Back