• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Trim Questions

PolishX

NAXJA Forum User
ok I have a set of 4 TJ flares and I am ready to start the trim .. have my tools etc .... BUT how to go about it and trim only so much etc .. I browsed some and I feel lazy does anyone have some tips or instructions ?

have u searched? There are quite a few write-ups on general fender trimming. remember that you shouldnt cut paste the spot welds in the rear.

I have a few dog eared so far and they have the pics and a nice write up on raising stock flares . but I didnt know if the measurements from the thread on raising stock flares would work on the front

I took the TJ flares & held them up to my XJ, then traced their inner & outer edges against the XJ with a carpenters pencil. Then I adjusted the lower (inner) line to be more "smooth" on the XJ body & then adjusted the TJ flares to match with an exacto knife. Do not not the pinch welds in the rear. I also had to do a rear 1/4 panel chop to fit 33s on my XJ without rubbing. I put the front flares all the way up at the bottom of the body line.

I had a 4-door & cut the rear flares to mount partially on the doors.
I used bolts for the front flares & self-tapping screws for the rears.
I used the cut-n-fold method on the front & rear (like in this writeup: http://www.jeepinohio.com/kb.php?mode=article&k=3 )

Here are pics of mine with TJ flares:
reardrivers.jpg

frontdrivers.jpg

side1.jpg

CRWrearbmprclrnce.jpg

TJflaresrear2.jpg

If you have a 4 door mount the rear flares to the body and door and then cut it into 2 pieces. Makes for a nice clean cut. Mine almost look factory until I open the door. It fools people all the time. I did the hold up mark and cut method. I also marked the TJ flares mounting holes and predrilled and used 1/4" self tapping bolts with rubber backed washers.
Brokenheaderpanel259.jpg

I traced the shape of the flare on painters tape and cut just outside the bottom line and smoothed it with a grinder. I just used a level to make sure it was straight, I didn't do any measuring, I think it will make sense when you start cutting, the back was a little confusing for me and I mounted the rear flares too far forward because I used bolts instead of screws.
I don't have any pics right now though....
If you need links I have a couple bookmarked.
korda's XJ | mods | TJ flares
korda's XJ | mods | TJ flares
XJ TJ Flare Install

I hope it helps and good luck with your flares.

I trimmed the front up to the flat part of the fender above the lip. I attached the TJ flares with rivnuts and machine screws. In the back I hacked right up to the pinch welds and past them in a couple of spots. I welded the lips of the inner and outer fenders together after folding a 1/2" of it over to double up the lip. I used the stock rear flares moved up until the curve was right under the door flush with the edge of the door opening. I attached the rear flares with rivnuts also.

Back