• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff failure - how often, really???

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
when I had my 8.8 opened up this weekend, I was thinking about bearings and noises and I got to thinking that even if you do have a bad pinion or carrier bearing, as long as they are wet with the gear oil I can't see them falling apart. You could probably drive forever with bad bearings (even wheel bearings for that matter) and it would just be noisy

anyone ever had a catastrophic failure of a rear axle bearing that wasn't caused by running dry? front bearings are different because they are sealed and will dry up and burn

Bad bearings will fail!Damage could be anything from the bearing itself,to loss of ring&pinion,to a cracked diff housing(or all the above).GET IT FIXED!

I have seen the bearing race let go on an inner pinion bearing letting the rollers fly appart sending the pinion thrashing all about the inside the axle. Wasnt a pretty sight and nether was the guys repair bill :D

If you have any play in the bearings, get it fixed sooner than later. You will save money in the long run.

AARON

Since we're talking about bearing/ diff issues. Here's the deal, I'm 99.99% positive that either my inner or outer pinion bearing is shot. I'm pretty positive that I can replace the outer bearing with no problem. I'm a little concerned about the inner bearing. I've done minimum work on axles, would this be to much for the pinion bearigs or pay do have it done. I've got a 97 with the issues being on a D30.

Yes, after 65000 miles or so it just disintegrated one day....on the Penn. Trpk. D35 on all stock back then, easter sunday dive trip no less... bent the shafts in the housing, had to replace everything, on warranty tho.

I had bad carrier bearings in my Chrysler 8.25. I drove it like that for 40K miles or so and it steadily got louder. When I replaced the bearings they were pitted and ground up bad. There happened to be no unusual wear on the ring and pinion which is miraculous considering the amount of metal shavings that were in the housing. I took a big risk continuing to drive with a noisy rear. You should get it fixed as soon as you can.

JeeperJohn, just pmed you about the bearings. Is that for inner and outer, I forgot to ask?? I would change them myself just a little concerned with setting backlash.

Get a second job as an apprentice at a reputable shop. You will learn how to build axles from the ground up in a few months or less. It's not rocket science. If it was, few would be able to afford to participate in this fine hobby of ours. ;)

BlackJax said:
Get a second job as an apprentice at a reputable shop. You will learn how to build axles from the ground up in a few months or less. It's not rocket science. If it was, few would be able to afford to participate in this fine hobby of ours. ;)

What he said. Plus you can typically get parts at shop/dealer cost :D

AARON

Back