• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best shocks

nturboy12

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking for new shocks its a daily driver with a few trips a year offroading trails, rocks,who makes the best ride at a reasonable price 6"lift 33s soon 35s

cal said:
grab bilstien 5150's.

Best bang for the buck.

x2 unbelieveable improvement over the Doestch ones I used to have

Rancho RS9000's are great they are 9 way adjustable and have a controler that can be mounted inside the jeep to change the setting for different terrain

motorcityxj said:
no pro comp dont anyone even suggeest

yeah i have pro comps and they ride like ass, they also happen to be too short, but thats a different problem.

all the plain white generic shocks pretty much suck ass. (pro comp, rustys, etc.)

-Tim

umm... google? maybe. ebay? hmm... I still like the rancho idea though. Anybody?

ome is pretty decently priced.

The OME are awesome. I run them on my '90 2door and I love em.
I ran Skyjacker shocks, the nitrogen charged version on my big '90 4 door. They were good, but nothing like the OME. The seals seem to suck on the Skyjackers. I had 2 of the 8 shocks(changed them after a year for long lengths) I went through on that jeep blast oil out the top by the shaft after about 3-5 hours on the freeway.

I'll be putting another set of OME on my '98.

-Kevin

2000_XJ said:
Rancho RS9000's are great they are 9 way adjustable and have a controler that can be mounted inside the jeep to change the setting for different terrain
These are nice because you dial in the shock you want. You can dial them in for the road and back them off a click for trails. Every jeep is loaded down different so one shock does not fit all.

Adjustable shocks are nice, but not necessary. Any good set of shocks will have variable valving built in, i.e. they'll stiffen under sudden load and move easily under gentle load, like articulating at a crawl over a rock.

how much do the Bilsteins cost in the states? Here in Canada they are $184 A PIECE (front and rear shocks are the same price)

You guys say they are the best bang for the buck...but I can get Rancho and $ky-Crapper over here for around $60 a piece... what gives?

fubar XJ said:
Adjustable shocks are nice, but not necessary. Any good set of shocks will have variable valving built in, i.e. they'll stiffen under sudden load and move easily under gentle load, like articulating at a crawl over a rock.

Not quite....it works this way to some extent,but with controlable valving you can stiffen the shock from the start.

It makes a big diffrence.When I have mine(RS9000's) set on the softest setting it can be scary on the hwy.With them on the stiffest setting it drives very good.

OlyWa

J-Roc said:
how much do the Bilsteins cost in the states? Here in Canada they are $184 A PIECE (front and rear shocks are the same price)

You guys say they are the best bang for the buck...but I can get Rancho and $ky-Crapper over here for around $60 a piece... what gives?

I do not know the exchange rate but I got mine from Rusty's for $108 each. There are no front and rear shocks. They are all the same. You have to order the length and valving that best suits you. I also ordered adoptors so I could use the OEM mounts.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/bst_5150.cfm

Last edited:
Back