• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas and water in the crank case

rogersjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok brought home a $200.00 87 xj today. previos owner said the engine was locked up. Well after about five minutes of tinkering i had it running. Now this is my problem water is pumping out of the valve cover and there is a strong oder of gas. its a 4.0 with a standerd tranny. any help would be appericiated. thanks

:explosion

I think the head has a few pipe plugs in the top of the casting right down the middle all the way to the back......I think there is 3 or so...but if those were leaking You would have a block full of water.

pulled the engine and took off the head. no cracks cylinders are in good condition. installed a new head gasket and reinstalled the motor. now it wont start. the new problem is that the injectors wont stop pumping gas.
has anyone had a problem like this?

I was working on one yesterday that did this, and the crank sensor had melted to the ehaust, and was shorting out. It was making the PCM think it was still running so it was still firing the injectors.

Back