• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear dana 60 ?

javik

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i have done my research on the dana 60 front, but i cant find any really pointed tech articles about 60 rears. Is there anything i should look out for or stay away from. I have an opertunity to get a rear 78 ford 60 for under 200 bones, good deal or not?

depends... will you give me gas money? and maybe some beer bucks?

javik said:
I have an opertunity to get a rear 78 ford 60 for under 200 bones, good deal or not?

I wouldnt give more that $100 for that rear axle. It is going to be 30 spline and the spindles will need to be bored out to accept 35 spline shafts. Most people get a 14 bolt for the same price and run the stock shafts.

well my plan is to only run 37s so i dont think the 30 spline shafts will be that bad and since im not going HUGE im worried that a 14bolt would make me do more rock humping than crawling. Plus im not that confident i could do that kind of shave job.

Does anybody have the actual clearance numbers for rears?

I am running a dana 60 out of a 79 f250 in my jeep. I picked it up for $100 a few months back. I have not had any problems with it and I have a full spool, stock shafts and 37's. As far as ground clearance goes, a friend of mine has 39.5" TSL's on his YJ with a 14 bolt rear and I have an extra inch of clearance under my diff with 37" boggers. This does not sound like much, but when we go wheeling, he hangs up on his diff 3 or 4 times for every one time I do.

I got a ramcharger rear, 60HD for $150. The spindles are already large enough for 35 spine shafts. Just look around.

javik said:
Ok so i have done my research on the dana 60 front, but i cant find any really pointed tech articles about 60 rears. Is there anything i should look out for or stay away from. I have an opertunity to get a rear 78 ford 60 for under 200 bones, good deal or not?

That'll likely be a 19 spline full-floater, same diff I have in the rear of my CJ on 38.5" SX's. It's not a bad axle. I've broken a couple of rear shafts, all under circumstances that were very harsh. I picked mine up with 4.88"s and an old-school Detroit for $150, I couldn't pass it up. Had to find an 8-lug D44 for the front to match, but it's been a solid combo.

Back