• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just wanted to say

oo7ravisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
REPLACING THE AW-4 TRANSMISSION FILTER AND SEAL SUCKS!

Really? Why?

because what shouldve taken maybe 40 mins ended up taking like 3 and a half hours, i had to take off the crossmember, unbolt the exhaust from the header, and on top of that i cut a couple of my knuckles really deep, shoulda got stitches, but what ever its done now and im glad. next time ill take it to jiffy lube

why the crossmember? It doesn't attach to the pan...?

they both were restricting me from getting the pan out, probably could have just unbolted the exhaust from the header n been fine but i thought of the crossmember first, it didnt seem to help much.

The problem with just unbolting the crossmember was that the transmission extends too far into the pan for that to work, the reason i had to unbolt the exhaust was that their that bulge right where the pan needs to pivot preventing it from coming right off.

...at least theirs a drain plug lol

I agree that the design could have been better but, the bad news is YOU made this harder than it needed to be.
Heres the easy way to do what you did.
Ratchet strap the exhaust to the front axle. You can tighten the strap and pull the exhaust forward just enough to get the pan out. Ive dropped the pan on mine three times and the ratchet strap has worked every time.
A form search would've revealed previous posts on this.

Back