• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adding to my existing lift

joshua.scott1

NAXJA Forum User
ADDING TO AN EXISTING LIFT

:firedevil I've got an 01 xj with a 3.5 inch ruff country lift. My 31s rub so I want to know If I can add 2 inch coil spacers in the front and 2 inch shackles in the rear. If I can, would I need to drop my t-case and/or extend anything else like driveshaft, steering linkage, brake lines etc. O and what is an SYE?
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
i have this set up on my daily driver and it works ok. i havent done nothing else be sides this, but i do plan on building a long arm and doing a t case drop. some steering mods would be good to i got a little bump steer. if i had it to do over again i would save my money if i could and by a long arm lift complete with every thing i need. but i've started building every thing i can now so why stop now.:farmer:

I have added spacers to my 3.5 inch lift with no problems. I did need to relocate the brackets that hold the front brake lines, I did not change the rear because I like a more level look if not a little front high. It will stretch out your shocks a little but it should be ok. I could use just a touch longer LCAs but thats to come. Also you will need to once again adjust your track bar. If it is adjustable. Your axle will be to far towards the passenger side. Then recenter your steering wheel with the adjuster on the steering linkage. Maybe check the front end alignment. easy enough as well. As far as the drive shaft goes, I needed a S.Y.E. right off the bat in my 98. It replaces the way the rear shaft hooks up to the transfer case. uses a double cardan style shaft similar to you front shaft, look at that to see what i mean. As far as which one you might need it depends on which tcase you have. But for the money and if it is mainly a DD try a tcase drop first, assuming you dont have any vibes now. I hope this helps.

Since you have an 01 you will probably need a SYE if you add more lift
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101244
adding an extra 2" would be two big for 31's, just trim it a little or use longer bumpstops.
LCA- lower control arms
UCA- upper control arms

What transfer case do you have?
for the NP 242 you have to options tom woods or RE's hack n' tap
for the 231 you have a few more options do a search and you will find lots of options but I personally would go with a HD SYE.
As for prices the hack n' tap is alot cheaper

If your tcase has the normal 2 hi, 4 hi, n, and 4 lo you have the 231
if it has 2 hi, 4 full time, 4 part time, n, and 4 lo then you have the 242.
I have the 242, I bought the R.E. hack n tap online for 80 bucks and had a local guy build the new shaft for 250 bucks. It works like a charm and removed all of my vibes.

Buy the way I am running 31's with 5.5 in front. It gives me a good amount of room for articulation and does not kill the 3.55 gear set.

A t case drop worked just with the 3.5 in. lift, the extra 2 gave me some bad vibes though. The S.Y.E. fixed it and is much stronger

ok then i have the 231. now im running 3.5 inch now with very minor vibes between 30 and 40. i think i want to go with the t-case drop. would i need a diff. drive shaft for that?

Back