• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replaced fuel pump no fuel

jimbob

NAXJA Forum User
2 days ago after running for 20 minutes or so i stopped for about 20 minutes and it wouldnt start. I poured some gas in the intake and it ran until i turned it off at the gas station. I was low on gas. I filled it up and it wouldnt start again so i put some more gas in the intake and it got me the 3 miles back home. I noticed that the fuel pump wasnt coming on as usual, so i went to napa and got a new one, now its still not starting and i checked the fuel filter and it blew through pretty clean i changed it three years ago, i checked the fuel regulator on the injecter rail and my gas isnt coming out of the line from the filter, or out of the filter, so even though i hear the pump i dont see it working.I took it back out and made sure it was connected properly i am cleaning all the relays that i can get to and i really need some help. I have searched. thanks

87 2dr cherokee 4.0 5 speed

I would check to see if there is electricity going to the fuel pump using a multimeter. If there isn't,i think your model might have the ballast resistor on the back of the driver's side fender. It's white with 2 wires coming out of it. I'd check for electricity for each of those. If there's electricity on one side but not the other just connect the two wires and see if it'll start. If not then keep on troubleshooting, but it sounds like an electricity problem to me.

I got a fuel pump from one of the cheap parts stores and put it in and
got no fuel. The terminals on the pump were marked wrong and was
pumping backwards. This was on an 89 XJ.

ok so i took the pump out and i dont get anything, noise or gas. so i call napa and i cant get it from where i bought it but there is 2 at another store thats closed so i get to looking and the one i bought is rated at 90 to 110 lbs of pressure and the oe one they sell is 28 lbs. the gallon per hour is close to each other. i thought i was buying a bosch but i dont know.

the repalcement i got had the + and - terminals on the opposite side of the oem. check to see if you didnt reverse the polarity of the new pump

Sounds like they sold you the wrong pump. The older jeeps do not use 90 to 110 lbs of fuel pressure. Also sounds the power connections are backwards like the others said below. The older Jeeps like yours run at 39 lbs of pressure max as I recall.

Thanks for all the help, fixed it, by buying another pump, a carter. It was smaller than the original. I modified it so it will stay connected to the tube. In the process of checking it, the fuel regulator started leaking and I replaced it also $50.00 at Autozone. It takes just a turn or two more to start and the fuel pump is louder, but at least it runs.

Back