• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Hex Plug Stripped

fdijacks

NAXJA Forum User
Has any one tackeled this issue?

I was going to change my TC fluid, and I realized that the person who owned the truck before me stripped the upper check/fill bolt on the back side. I don't really want to pull down the TC and service it, can I pull off the back plate without any problems? I am worried that gears and seals will be compromised.:wow: Thanks for all postings.

Don't hesitate to private message or post a reply to the thread.

Similar thing happend to me, but I was able to get the old plug out with an easy-out bit without damaging the threads in the case. New plug from the dealer was like $3.00. If you have to take the case apart you can seal it back up with RTV.

With how large that plug is, some idiot had to do something pretty stupid to strip that thing! (right tool for the right job!) Get another plug and maybe try visegrips, etc, to get it out. It shouldn't be that tight, remember the transfer case is aluminium. Might as well fix it now, so next time you want to change fluid you won't have to go through this again.(unless your saying he striped the threads out, then your screwed!)

It helps also to know the year. Earlier ones come with an enormous 30 mm. hex head, plenty to grab on to, but easy to strip the threads if you tighten it overzealously. Newer ones come with a recessed allen head, something like 10 mm, which is really easy to mess up. The plug sits low, so there's nothing else to grab on to. I had the same problem on my 99 - someone had mangled the allen head, and then overtightened it (or perhaps it just seized in there). I tried everything, custom ground wrenches, etc., to no avail, and finally ground a stub off of an allen wrench of a larger size, custom ground it to approximately the right dimensions, hammered it in, and gingerly welded it to the plug. You can do this if you clean everything off, and use a small mig welder. You might also be able to braze it. It won't harm the case if you're careful, because the aluminum dissipates heat quite quickly. Two or three spots around the periphery of the stub should do it.

Once it's out you have a couple of options. Of course you can just go buy a new plug, find an old one in good shape (I used an older 30 mm. one), or you can finish up the job of welding or brazing a permanent head to the one you took out.

There is another option guys...

The earlier 231 has the 30mm (if I recall) shallow hex head plugs made out of aluminum. These are VERY easy to round out as most poeple don't have 30mm sockets handy (I do now... ;)). If thise is your problem just get it out and replace the plug but buy a socket...

If you have to split the case it's not THAT hard to do in the vechile, it'll just be messy. Tear down the tail cone first, remove the snap ring under it, then get all the perimeter bolts out and pull the back half of hte case. Look for SYE instructions and follow them.

If it's the threads in the case itself that are hosed (and if the plug threads are hosed expect the case threads to be so as well, especially since it's aluminum) then I'd suggest drilling it out one size, tapping it (Use an NPT tap) and using a hardware store plug in it, eitehr steel or brass. Just remember that the plug never has to be super tight, especially if you retap it for NPT threads, and always take care removing it.

The xj is a 1998 sport with a 242 TC. The plug threads are still good, but the hex is stripped. I tried to tap in a 10mm hex key, but I had no luck taking the plug out. There is about 50lbs+ on the dam thing, and I have tried using a few penetrating fluids. I think the person before me used a 3/8" hex bit and rounded off the inside.

Can I take apart the TC without worrying about gears falling out? How safe is it?

fdijacks said:
Can I take apart the TC without worrying about gears falling out? How safe is it?

Perfectly safe, just pay attention.

SEARCH for SYE, SYE Install, Slip Yoke Eliminator, Hack and Tap, and other such phrases. Keep looking until you find a write up about installing an SYE IN THE VEHICLE. Then follow these instructrions to remove the back half of the case and re-install it.

I've dont it before, it's not hard. I am advising you to follow the instructions becuae I don't have it in front of me and do not trust my memory enough to give you perfectly accurate information on the order of things.

I used a crescent wrench to remove mine. Worked fine and I didn't round anything off.

Although the top one was much harder to loosen for some reason. I just used a longer crescent wrench to compensate :)

Back