• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

castor adjustment

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok. so i have read to go jeeps article regarding castor angle adjustment, and i just have a question. can i measure the angle with an angle finder on the bottom of the diff housing, and use that as my reference point? i have a 2000 low pinion dana 30. thanks

it has to run parallel with the face of the Center section of the axle-not sure if its the same measuremetn and conversion for a LP

the article has the diff angle as 12 degrees. im thinking that if it is 90 degrees to the face of the diff, i can reference the diff angle from the bottom of the housing. not sure though?

just seems easier. another thing too, any tips on replacing my stock uppers with adjustables? i had a hell of a time doing my lowers, couldnt get them to line back up. took a alot of prying and cohersing to get her done

When fitting control arms it is dead easy if you just place a jack under the trackbar where it attaches to the axle on one side and lift it until it rotates the axle and the holes line up perfectly. When fitting arms to the other side, place it under the spring perch in front of the axle. If you need to rotate the axle the other way, just jack under the pinion.
Also the reason I use the area next to the cover is that it is a machined surface so it true against the pinion angle. But placing it underneath is not machined so wont be accurate and could even vary from one axle to another and might even be cast in different moulds etc.

Last edited:
Yes as above. It and a hole in it to fit the diff spreader into as well and is the center of the axle on both sides of the cover.

I'm a bit confused about what I am reading about setting caster and/or pinion angle. I just lifted my XJ with a 6.5" long arm setup. right now I have the front dshaft removed because the vibes were so bad (non-disco front axle)

From what I've been reading, I only have 1 option - set the pinion to point directly at the t-case and just live with whatever caster that gives me.

Why bother to measure the pinion or caster angles? they are irrelevant to what you actually end up with, aren't they?

fuzzydog said:
I'm a bit confused about what I am reading about setting caster and/or pinion angle. I just lifted my XJ with a 6.5" long arm setup. right now I have the front dshaft removed because the vibes were so bad (non-disco front axle)

From what I've been reading, I only have 1 option - set the pinion to point directly at the t-case and just live with whatever caster that gives me.

Why bother to measure the pinion or caster angles? they are irrelevant to what you actually end up with, aren't they?

fuzzydog said:
This is your castor front end alignment. You at least need them to be even. I tryed the angle finder on the pumkin thing and it works ok but I think it's more accurate and easy to put the angle finder on the ball joint.
It has a machined flat edge and you can read each side right at the horses mouth. Flex the jeep to see at what point the tire needs more clearance in the wheel well so you can tell if you should move the uppers or lowers to give you more flex and an alignment at the same time. They jeep calls for 6 degrees and 7 for the new ones. It would be nice to get as close to that as you can. You can set it to 3 but if it drives funny you can at least know that you need to try 4 or 5 and have somthing to go by.

the idea here is to try to reach a happy medium between castor and pinion angle. its not possible to have both perfect on a lifted vehicle. i agree with stumpalump abaove...set it at a point and drive it. if something doesnt feel right make adjustments until it does.

The closer the caster is too stock, the better the Jeep will handle so it is important that you get as much as you can while still having the pinion angle stopping vibes. You dont have to point straight at the output yoke to be vibe free as around 4 degrees below that will still have you vibe free I have found so far. Better to put your shaft back in and dail out the caster ( slowly point the pinion up ) a degree at a time until you are vibe free.

Back