• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking when braking

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
When I brake moderately hard to hard, I hear a ticking sound coming from the front passeger side. It gets louder as I brake harder and slows down as I slow down. Under normal braking there is no sound or anything... just normal.

Any ideas on what to look for?

Have you actually inspected the brakes on that side?? Pulling a wheel and just looking often reveals the exact problem.

Many brake pads have some sort of wear tab that rubs on the rotor when they wear down to the point of needing replacement. They can start off as a clicking sound, since they barely contact, they often progress to squeal or rattling noise.

i have the same issue with my 96. the ticking only shows up when there is more than one person in the car or extra cargo weight. when i am alone, there is no ticking. however, mine seems to be coming from the drivers side, and i can 'feel' the tick in the brake pedal sometimes, not all the time.

Have you visually inspected your brakes as well??

Look for the grooves worn into the rails/mounting ledges for the pads on the steering knuckle. That seems to be a problem with the XJ, maybe that could cause the ticking noise.

I redid my brakes about a month ago, but I can check again...
I'll do that tomorrow. I was just looking for direction now before I pull it apart so I can have an idea what to look for. I'll check the pads and post up what I find.

I have the very same problem, but I just had my breaks inspected & have over 50% pad left.....so is this ticking something to be worried about, or is it just a unique noise?

Thanks

Back