• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help figure gear ratio

Whiteknight

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I just need alittle help determining which gear ratio my XJ has.

the 2 tags on the diff covers have the numbers:
and

what do those tag numbers mean??

Pulled the diff cover off and these numbers apeared on the ring gear
-4 06 93 2

and the ring gear has 39 teeth

I am thinking its a 4.10 ratio but not positive.

Thanks in advance
TJ

4.10 gears were found behind four-cylinder engines, and some trailer tow packages in the early XJ years (AMC, not Chrysler.)

Give with some more info - year, engine, transmission... Also, if you've Dana axles (Dana 30 up front, and if you've got an oval cover and housing in the rear, it's the Dana 35) the ratio should be "in the clear" on your tag - bottom line, left end. It will be 3.07/3.54/3.73/4.10/4.55, most probably.

If the front is 3.55, then the rear will be whatever is available that comes closest to 3.55 (probably 3.53 or 3.54 - check gear availability in the aftermarket. I don't have my list to hand.)

It's OK if they're different by a couple of points - usually in favour of (read: higher number) the front axle. That will allow the front axle to "pull" when you need it to in 4WD, and makes it easier to gain and maintain control in slippery stuff...

5-90 said:
If the front is 3.55, then the rear will be whatever is available that comes closest to 3.55 (probably 3.53 or 3.54 - check gear availability in the aftermarket. I don't have my list to hand.)

It's OK if they're different by a couple of points - usually in favour of (read: higher number) the front axle. That will allow the front axle to "pull" when you need it to in 4WD, and makes it easier to gain and maintain control in slippery stuff...

Yeah i knew that. I was mainly wanting to know the ratio so I know what all i need when i regear to 4.88s.

Again thanks everyone for their help. If I would have not been an idiot I would have just looked on the front cover also:dunce:

Back