• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard shifting on a Peugot Tranny

MJ88SB

NAXJA Forum User
:rattle: O.k. NAXJA Nation It's me again..........
I Bleeded the clutch line mannualy and then after suggestions from forum Mechanicaly .
Still once U are running either for a while @ Fwy speeds or Stop and go traffic ( once it gets warm inside the tranny) . It just gets harder and harder to shift ( I'm almost ready to rip that shiftknob apart :roll: !!)

Someone suggested that the bearing inside was bad and once the oil heated up, the bearing would start failling........I don't know about this.

suggestions Greatly appreciated got the weekend ahead of me and would like to close this issue .

So before I bring that tranny down any sugestions ?
Before I aquired this truck . the Prev. owner replaced the clutch and master cylinder. No mention about the slave cylinder. and by the way there is no fluid loss.

Keep trail ridin'./... I'll catch up :D

How long has it been sense you checked the fluid............they do like to leak!

Flash.

just for fun check the hydraulic flex line between the master and the slave. shortly after replacing the clutch, master, and slave on my '88, i suddenly developed a clutch that wouldn't release properly. turned out that the flex line runs up the firewall fairly close to the exhaust manifold and it had, over time, cooked the line. it was half-rotted and had a big ol' nasty bulge growing in it, when you pushed the pedal in the bulge swelled up like a balloon. replaced it and covered the new one with some heat reflective tubing now everything's fine. worth a few seconds to check it out....

Personally if I were you I'd be on the lookout for an AX-15. I wouldn't want to put any time or money into a BA/10 (and I refuse to do so for the BA/10 I have in my Chief!).

Be advised that if your Jeep is four wheel drive you will need to either get an early 23 spline input gear or a 23 spline transfer case.

I got my AX-15 and a matching 231 from the bone yard for a total layout of $125 (including core charges), this was on a half off day (Granted, the parts are still in the garage ;)).

yeah, if it is the trans don't spend any money to fix it, it would take more $$$ to fix than it could ever be worth. i'm currently searching for an external slave ax-15 and matching 231.....so far no luck.

MJ88SB said:
So if I 'm looking for an AX/15 + NP 231 for my '88 MJ; What year model range of xj/MJ should I keep my eyes open for ?

MId year '89 - '96 (if I recall, it may have ended slightly earlier) are internal slave AX-15's. Stilll good transmission but have the annoying internal slave cylinder (my AX-15 is internal slave and I'm keeping that, I don't change them often enough for it to be TOO much of a PITA). '96 +/- - '99 are external slave AX-15. 2000 - 2001 (maybe just 2001?) are NV 3550, a bit beefier than the AX-15.

GSequoia said:
MId year '89 - '96 (if I recall, it may have ended slightly earlier) are internal slave AX-15's. Stilll good transmission but have the annoying internal slave cylinder (my AX-15 is internal slave and I'm keeping that, I don't change them often enough for it to be TOO much of a PITA). '96 +/- - '99 are external slave AX-15. 2000 - 2001 (maybe just 2001?) are NV 3550, a bit beefier than the AX-15.

So by this and my '88MJ being 4x4; What's the deal if I get a '96-'99 ( ext. slave )concerning the 23 spline issue ?
:geek: ( By the way : I really apreciate the support this forum gives... Have tried on a couple of other non - naxja forums ( no names) as a neubbie . And I got a faster answer when I sent two pigeons in the air and three bottles @ sea .)
Sorry that wasn't tech talk, just had to put this in here.

Keep trail ridin ya'll... I'll catch up.

All of the transmissions I spoke of will be 23 spline units. If you get a very early 23 spline 231 you may be able to just use the input gear. Be advised that the cut of the planataries did change somewhere in the middle of the run so there is some risk envolved.

We just did the swap from a BA-5/10 to the AX-15 on our 87 .Used a 95 AX-15 and TC,the tranny has the external slave.
Wayne

All right them !! Thanks for All the feedback ! Time to hunt for that tranny & TC ....
Every day that goes by it just gets harder and harder to shift. ..... TIC TAC....

Keep trail ridin' ... I''ll catch up !!! :0)>

we had one that was almost impossible to shift. drained the stuff out of it ( looked more like mud than oil) flushed and refilled with top quality synthetic and it has been shifting fine for the last 2 years

Oh, if/when you pour the new oil in through the gearshifter, make sure that you only put about 2& 3/4 qts. in it. When I drained mine, the "stuff" that came out filled a 6qt (!!!) pan. AND it looked like liquid peanut butter, so make damn sure that the boot for the shifter is in good condition, and make sure that it stays on the tower (I used a pair of hose clamps to make mine stay put).

ren said:
Oh, if/when you pour the new oil in through the gearshifter, make sure that you only put about 2& 3/4 qts. in it. When I drained mine, the "stuff" that came out filled a 6qt (!!!) pan. AND it looked like liquid peanut butter, so make damn sure that the boot for the shifter is in good condition, and make sure that it stays on the tower (I used a pair of hose clamps to make mine stay put).

Recomend any particular weight oil ? :attom:

Back