• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Links to XJ diesel Conversions??

mpro1

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have links to xj diesel engine conversions.......i have exhausted the info on this site.......but have not seen any real conversions examples with pictures ect...... i will be needing a re-power of my own 90 xj and would love to convert to diesel......i am surprised that no one is doing the diesel thing..especially with gas prices being so high....and also the veggie bio diesels gaining speed........any info would be appreciated.....

Thank you

well the perfect diesel if you car about gas and cost to purchase and reliablility and power (hard to come by combo) look into the cummins 4bt. Not sure if it fits into a XJ. If your hell bent on it though, no shame in getting a YJ,TJ, and swapping it in. They are readily available for around $1,500 at auction in a running all aluminum bread truck (would come with a turbo 400 tranny likely). You can sell the aluminum easy for $400 and then trade the turbo 400 for a 700 r4 or towards a 4l60e and then youll have a 4 speed with overdrive.

Sweet.

Thats what i want to do.

They are kinda noisy is their only downside. Which if your into jeeps .... how much can NVH, road noise, and general clatter really bother you.

When your getting 28-30 mpg you wont care.:patriot:

JP? 'Only thing i look at in JP any more is the pic of Bree at the back.

Hard to find everything to convert if you want to retain 4WD. 2WD on the other hand is relatively simple to locate the engine /trans combo.

mikeforte said:
Hard to find everything to convert if you want to retain 4WD. 2WD on the other hand is relatively simple to locate the engine /trans combo.

^^nailed it!!

it's all about oilpan to diff clearance. everything else is not too hard. at least compared to any other engine swap.

there is a fellow on here running an sd22 in a 2wd. looks nice an he is definitely happy with the mileage it gets. you you could put it in a 4wd with 6.5 inches of lift and 7 inches extra of bumpstop.

then you'd be driving a 62 hp vehicle around with 6.5 inches of lift that can't even flex.

find me rear sump diesel with reasonable power and height , and i'll do it. I've been looking a long time. I've even looked at drysumping a mercedes. they make it for aviation purposes so the drysump is pretty spendy but possible if you had lots more money than i do.

I am just about to begin my diesel swap and after much research the engine I am using is a Cummins b3.3. It is much smaller than a 4bt and has a rear sump oil pan. It also only weighs 650lbs so it is the same as a 4.0l. The engine was originally used for industrial purposes but there is a company that makes an adapter to mate this engine to GM auto tranmissions. I am going to use a 700R4 and atlas II with mine. Also with a little tweaking these engines can see 275-300 lbfts.

Look around, you can still find STOCK diesel XJs for reasonable prices.
I had an 85 Turbo Diesel XJ I just sold for only $1000 (and it took me a couple weeks to sell it). If you can convert an XJ to diesel for less than that I'd be VERY surprised.

There is 5 other diesel XJs (NFS) in my own town that I found out about while selling it, so they are not unfindable.

Thanks, guys good info.....

The idea is a good one but just might not be cost effective....although i am attached to this jeep.......210,000 and very little rust......i might be better off just swapping the 4.0l with a new long block when it goes....or sell out for a new Rubicon........although no diesel option there either....i am a mechanic and love the direction that the modern diesels engines are going, clean efficient ect.......also the option of choosing a multitude of fuels.....veggie bio ect....

I use this 1990 2dr. 4.0 ax15 for DD beach and mild trails......I like things to be as efficient as can be expected for a vehicle of this age....I run 3.5in of lift and 30's .... it will never be a rock crawler......I also own a 2000 xj 4dr bone stock......it is much more refined than the 1990...

I guess my delema is how best to modernize this aging jeep power train....to keep up with a changing industry and stay true to what it is......a jeep!!

thanks gotta love this site.....

mpro1 said:
Thanks, guys good info.....

I guess my delema is how best to modernize this aging jeep power train....to keep up with a changing industry and stay true to what it is......a jeep!!

thanks gotta love this site.....

Stroker, 12.0:1 compression, propane. cng if it is available in your area. box checked.

cumorglas said:
Stroker, 12.0:1 compression, propane. cng if it is available in your area. box checked.

CNG is definately available.....and also an intriging option....I have considered building a renix stroker......do you know anyone that runs the CNG??? or links to info on it?.......what numbers would i expect running this set-up? ie....HP torque milage ect? ......

Thanks

mpro1 said:
CNG is definately available.....and also an intriging option....I have considered building a renix stroker......do you know anyone that runs the CNG??? or links to info on it?.......what numbers would i expect running this set-up? ie....HP torque milage ect? ......

Thanks

the street and performance section here has a good bit of info in it. i am in the early middle of doing this wih propane. propane likes compression. and at 12.5 is nearly as efficient as gasoline. but you will be paying significantly less than the the $3.85/gal that high test costs here.

cng would use the same impco 425, but with different settings and maybe different intrnal parts. I don't know much more aout cng because the nearesr place for me to fuel up with it is 35 miles away. i stopped researching it there. propane is less than a mile away for me. and i had access to a couple fork truck tanks.

The SBC is cake. Pick up some mounts and put that sum bitch in there. The 6.5TD is just a SBC on steroids. The only thing I would say is you might have clearance problems with the turbo on the passenger side.

well i would say the easy way would be to find an XJ with a diesel. the stock xj renult 2.1turbo diesel is also in some of the small winabagos from the 80s.

as far as the diesel can cost more coment some one posted it may be more a gallon then 87 gas but pre lift i was getting 30mpg on a stock TD

Back