• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Leak....Help!

Chux01Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, I have been noticing an antifreeze smell from time to time, and I finally found it, I have a small hole, about the diameter of a toothpick in the housing above the water pump...possibly due to corrosion. I was low on antifreeze and now I know why. I don't know how long it has been there as the vehicle has been running normal for months.

I want to order this part, but don't know the proper name. It looks to me to be held on by three bolts and is separate from the water pump. I could use a little help here since I noticed a little old antifreeze near front of the valve cover gasket. I cleaned it off, and after starting the vehicle I had a small geyser as the coolant squirted out the hole. This piece has three hose connections.

I have hopefully temporarily sealed this leak with some gasket sealer designed to make water pump gaskets. I'm hoping it will hold till I can replace it.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chuck

t-stat housings can corrode to the point that you describe, you should consider replacing it. it's cheap and easy. if you don't get that under control, your XJ could develop nightmarish overheating problems, nip it in the bud, don't ask how I know...

Are you sure he isn't talking about the weep hole on the water pump?

of course thats beneath the water pump pully.....

The housing above the water pump is the power steering pump.

Careful when putting it back on. They leak if you don't torque them enough and will snap if you over-torque them. I found that some RTV sealant is your friend.

Right, I've cracked two thermostat housings. One was the origional, and the second was a few month old Autozone replacement. After that I headed to the dealer for an OEM water outlet :)

I didn't crack the new water pump, though...props to myself :)

Back