• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power/Comfort Switch for AW4

I think it is just supposed to change the shift points....

slightly higher up-shift points and quicker/firmer shifts-- also quicker down-shifts. I gives a less "slushey" shift which will extend the life of your transmission bands (all else equal)

--Shorty

According to my owner's manual for my '88 Laredo, the blurb states:

AutomaticTransmission Mode Selection Switch
Automatic transmission mode selection allows you to select different transmission shift characteristics to suit your driving style and road conditions. The switch has two positions:
Power: In this mode the transmission will be more responsive. It will upshift at higher speeds under hard acceleration and downshift more quickly. An amber indicator light on the switch will glow in this position.
Comfort: This mode is for normal driving. The transmission will upshift at lower speeds for more economical operation.

Hope this helps

Do your back up lights work?

If not check the fuse marked "Trans" in the fuse block under the dash. Same fuse runs both. The NSS can (and does) cause the back up lights to fail but if you can start in Park or Neutral and your back up lights AND your trans Comfort/Switch isn't lighting up OR you don't feel a noticeable difference in the two modes...it's the fuse.

Check the fuse...twice.

ParadiseXJ said:
Do your back up lights work?

If not check the fuse marked "Trans" in the fuse block under the dash. Same fuse runs both. The NSS can (and does) cause the back up lights to fail but if you can start in Park or Neutral and your back up lights AND your trans Comfort/Switch isn't lighting up OR you don't feel a noticeable difference in the two modes...it's the fuse.

Check the fuse...twice.

:cheers: wasn't any closer to figuring this exact problem tonite than i was yesterday until reading this. was dreading a few evenings chasing wiring gremlins. fuse was roasted-too bad i have extras for everything but 7.5 :doh:

AlabamaDan said:
I think somewhere people said to leave it on Power. Better for the Tranny or something.

Thats what I have heard, even though mine is in comfort mode I think. I also read that when they did away with the switch all transmissions were perminatly in Power mode.

On my 90' its more like the "power" and "economy" switch. My tranny's shifts feel the same, firm, in either setting. My TC goes into lock up at a lower speed while in "comfort", it will lock up at 35mph and hold down to 25mph on light throttle. The difference in mileage is about 3 mpg in town and none on the highway.

I can feel the difference in my '88. Like the manual says, shifts higher, and a bit crisper. I always drive in Power.

Saudade said:
I always drive in Power.
x2! After 91 or 92 (I forget which) they deleted the switch from existance and they looped it into power mode.

xjtrailrider said:
On my 90' its more like the "power" and "economy" switch. My tranny's shifts feel the same, firm, in either setting. My TC goes into lock up at a lower speed while in "comfort", it will lock up at 35mph and hold down to 25mph on light throttle. The difference in mileage is about 3 mpg in town and none on the highway.

With gas at $3.25, it would be NICE if we could retrofit the switch to later XJs.

Is it possible?

Bob

I've tried driving at a much lower RPM at takeoffs (which is sort of what the comfort switch would do....except it'd shift faster at a lower RPM....)

It really didn't do anything to my fuel mileage.

EDIT - I do believe it is possible, though. You'd have to look at a wiring schematic for a Jeep with the button, then match up the wires for a later jeep without the button in order to wire it up right.

I've tried the "drive around in Comfort" mode several times for extended periods (like a month) and didn't really observe any repeatable difference in mileage. My driving style has way more influence.

The system is more fuel efficient when the TC (Torque Converter) is locked up. I have read that the TC locks up in the third gear in comfort mode, but not until 4th gear in the power mode.

I know that mine gets to fourth gear sooner and cruises at 1200 rpm in 4th gear at 35 mph in the comfort mode, but stays in third at 1800 rpm at 35 mph in the power mode, and won't shift to 4th until you pass 43 mph in the power mode. 600 extra rpm has to be using more fuel to cruise at 35 mph!

I say the comfort mode should be capable of being the most fuel efficient mode, but that could be canceled out by driving styles that use a heavy foot, in which case the power mode might be just as good or better.

i like the shift point between 3rd and 4th in power mode way better than in comfort. for that reason alone i use power. never any difference in fuel efficiency-she just slugs the juice as fast as i can pump it in. :looney: the only thing that makes a noticeable difference in my mileage is to keep it in 3rd at anything below hwy speeds to keep the rpm above 2000. then the torque converter locks in 2nd too.

Ecomike said:
I know that mine gets to fourth gear sooner and cruises at 1200 rpm in 4th gear at 35 mph in the comfort mode, but stays in third at 1800 rpm at 35 mph in the power mode, and won't shift to 4th until you pass 43 mph in the power mode. 600 extra rpm has to be using more fuel to cruise at 35 mph!

I never noticed this. I live in an area with a lot of tracts. Inside the tracts, speed limit is 25 mph. Outside on the main streets, it's 45mph. So I'm never at 35ish for very long. Certainly not long enough to make any difference in mileage.

Back