• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it worth it----8.25 to Ford Explorer Axle?

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
i know there are a ton of post on how to do it...but this is what i want to know.

i have a chance to buy a 98 ford explorer rear axle with disc brakes and drive shaft at a local salvage place that i do biz with for $150. seeing how i wanted to do the disc brake conversion anyway, i figure if iswap my 8.25 to a better axle (is it an 8.8 on the ford?) with the disc brakes already installed i'd be way ahead of the game.

is this swap possible? is it as strait forward as swaping the axles, rewelding and installing the shock mounts, changing out the ring and pinion to match the front axle or vice versa of the one with the lower ratio. reattch my brake lines and ebrake cable...bleed em out refill the diff reinstall the drive shaft and screw on down the road? ( screw in these parts means "to leave in a hurry", not the sect act of the same venacular..although we do use it that way way too!!!!

(by the way, could i drive with uneven ratios in the front and rear as long as i dont shift into 4WD?)
is it that simple, or should i just go out and buy the new disc brake conversion kit for 500. i'm not down with useing Grand Chero's brakes because of the backing plate would have to be ground to fit.....a jeep liberty 8.25 would be a good choice with the rear discs, but not too many around yet...and they are pricey for what is around....i could just buy one from daimler in lieu of that!

anyway..what do ya think?

cipey (sip pee)

I have the 8.8 in my cherokee. It is alot stronger than the 8.25 and setting it up is very easy. As for the gear ratio issue you can drive with 2 different ratios as long as it is not in 4 or all time 4.

I love my 8.8 it was an easy install, I paid $115 for mine but I had to pull it my self.....here are a few pics.
DSC03754.jpg

here is one of the shock mounts....I just cut them of my d35, and welded them on level with the tubes so the don't hang off the bottom.
DSC03786.jpg

here is one of it done.
DSC03787.jpg

If you wanted to do the swap just to trade out the axle, it probably wouldn't be worth it. For light to moderate wheeling, the 8.25 will hold up quite well.
From what you wrote, what you are planning to do is a disc upgrade. Here's the math I see:
Axle: $150.00
Spring perches: >$50.00
U-bolts: $30.00
Drive shaft: >$100.00

Any local drive shaft shop can take your stock driveshaft and the explorer shaft and make a new one for under a 100. Can you weld? If not, the perch install is another 50.00 or so. Still and all, that's a pretty cheap disc brake swap.

I'd do it.

I love my 8.8

Solid axle, and im getting an OX put in it within a month or so.

Yeah man, VERY worth the time.

However, when you get the disk brakes, I have them, they are nasty, you will need a new proportioning valve. Just get one out of a ZJ with Disks, thats what I did and my pedal is amazing!

But you could always turn around and sell the 8.25..should be worth about 100.00 bucks or so...d35 boys are always looking for an upgrade.

Just bought a 8.8 with 4.10, and limited slip for 165. Thats cheaper than just doing a disc swap, plus I get the gear ratio I wanted with a limited slip, which I didn't have. Well worth it.

8.8= 165
perches+shock mounts= 40
new ubolts= 30

8.25= have
gears= 200.00
locker= 400.00
setup labour= 200.00
disc brakes est= 300.00

235 vs. 1100 and you get a stronger rear end.

Go for it!!!!

A few parts have been missed, and yes it would be worth the swap.

You need:

New spring perches
Shock Mounts
U bolts and plates
Adaptor Flange for rear drive shaft
You will need to use 2 passenger side brake lines for the exploder, and a couple pieces of hard line. Use the XJ main line.
Your choice of gearing and lockers

You should be able to use your current drive shaft.

Then all you have to worry about is the Ebrakes, and that can be done for the cost of a couple cable clamps. (I can go into detail here if need be)

Last edited:
I've exploded way more 8.8s (bent welded tubes, cracked TM, etc) than I have seen 8.25s let go. So I have to say stick with the 8.25 and save up for a D60 or 9" ;)

I wonder how many people who complained about the 8.25 actually had any trouble with it. I've wheeled the piss out of my 8.25 and it has never complained. 33x12.50s and a Detroit too.

Ive got a c8.25 right now and was also looking at swapping to the 8.8. I was looking at more.com, they have a kit for the swap that comes with everything you need. they also have some e brake cables to hook them up. not sure how other guys do it.

Back