• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking Coolant - funny smell

JeepinAaron

NAXJA Forum User
'00 XJ 4.0 Auto

I've been noticing a coolant leak, but never could determine where the leak was, since nothing was making it to the ground. Also i didnt have water in my oil.

Today I noticed after i turned my jeep off, a huge puddle of coolant coming from the firewall where the two lines go in for the heater core. It wasn't leaking from the connections but more from that foam type pannel there on the firewall. Also seemed like some was coming from the drain for the A/C...and i didnt have the A/C on. I also noticed a coolant smell coming from my vents, especially with the defrost on.

Whats causing this...heater core leak??

JeepinAaron said:
'00 XJ 4.0 Auto

I've been noticing a coolant leak, but never could determine where the leak was, since nothing was making it to the ground. Also i didnt have water in my oil.

Today I noticed after i turned my jeep off, a huge puddle of coolant coming from the firewall where the two lines go in for the heater core. It wasn't leaking from the connections but more from that foam type pannel there on the firewall. Also seemed like some was coming from the drain for the A/C...and i didnt have the A/C on. I also noticed a coolant smell coming from my vents, especially with the defrost on.

Whats causing this...heater core leak??

It certainly sounds exactly like a heater core leak. I do not envy you if it is.

You will more than likely have to remove the entire dash to access the heater core.

Although I've heard of some partially moving the dash up enough to remove the heater box.......I've never done it so I'll let the others chime in.

Back