• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winshield "clips" to rubber grommet?

IslanderXJ

NAXJA Forum User
How easy would it be to swap the clips and metal trim I have now (a '92 limited) for the rubber grommet used on later models?
Anybody know where to get a new rubber grommet, other than the dealer?

You really can't Put the older metal trim on newer models. The plastic clips that hold the metal trim in place are kept on the pinchweld by little metal studs that are non-existent on newer models. The older windshield number is DW 952, and the newer windshield number is DW 1140. You could do it if you really wanted to by pulling out the windshield, approximate the location of each clip, drill an 1/8 inch hole, and put a thread sealing screw in. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, there are 22 clips for the older metal trim. BTW, I have a buttload of new black plastic clips if u need some. Jer

jbmoose said:
You really can't Put the older metal trim on newer models. The plastic clips that hold the metal trim in place are kept on the pinchweld by little metal studs that are non-existent on newer models. The older windshield number is DW 952, and the newer windshield number is DW 1140. You could do it if you really wanted to by pulling out the windshield, approximate the location of each clip, drill an 1/8 inch hole, and put a thread sealing screw in. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, there are 22 clips for the older metal trim. BTW, I have a buttload of new black plastic clips if u need some. Jer

I think the original post concerned going the other way, since the 92 came with the metal trim. I certainly hope so, because retrofitting the metal trim to a later model would be a bad idea all around.

Matthew Currie said:
I think the original post concerned going the other way, since the 92 came with the metal trim. I certainly hope so, because retrofitting the metal trim to a later model would be a bad idea all around.
Yep! I've lost the top and drivers metal trim. I saw a few rigs around with the rubber and it looked pretty good and more waterproof than mine.

Back