• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Propane Conversion

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
So up here in Canada gas is at $1.10 a liter (about $3.30/gal). I am wondering if it is possible to convert my 1999 OBDII 4L to propane? And if so will the savings in $$$ from buying $0.40/L propane be worth it? What negative effects would I see?
Just thinking.....

i know that propane cannot turn from a liquid state back into a gaseous state fast enough so hard acceleration will suffer.

it takes longer to fill up now.

you might appease a hippy or two....

other than that i wish i was running off LPG. I really wish i could find a way to get my free military paid for natural gas from my stove into my jeep.

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
i know that propane cannot turn from a liquid state back into a gaseous state fast enough so hard acceleration will suffer.

other than that i wish i was running off LPG. I really wish i could find a way to get my free military paid for natural gas from my stove into my jeep.

As soon as the propane leaves its pressurized bottle, it's gaseous. Canada is also a little more set up for propane as many vehicles in Canada used to be sold as dual fuel (not sure about now, though).

VinceYJ,
Contact Cary at GotPropane. He has a kit that works for the 4.0L but is also extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

Over here in the UK we are getting into the use of LPG with gas at £0.95 a litre,($1.89 a litre). I havn't installed LPG yet but i know some guys who have. Try asking here at Rockznruts.com (good friendly jeepin site in the UK) will be able to answer your questions.

Gary.

Last edited:
The only real downside is it takes more propane to go X distance than gasoline...so the real savings are not as good as it seems....in conjunction with that....the propane tank cannot be mounted inside the vehicle....and a tank that will fit will not hold nearly as many gallons as the gas tank.

MudDawg said:
The only real downside is it takes more propane to go X distance than gasoline...so the real savings are not as good as it seems....in conjunction with that....the propane tank cannot be mounted inside the vehicle....and a tank that will fit will not hold nearly as many gallons as the gas tank.

True, the under slung tank takes the place on the gas tank and you have a little 4 gallon gas tank along side the PLG tank. Not good it the LPG runs out in the middle of no where. I dont think it's worth the hassle your side of the pond to go over to PLG.... Over here it works out at about half price to fill up using LPG instead of regular gas.

Oh yeah, over here we can have a LPG tank in the trunk as a large bottle type or a donut shape, they holds about 70 to 90 litres and you get to keep the gas tank.

xDUMPTRUCKx said:

you also need to figure out something for a distributor. and probably a way to shift your aw4 once you ditch the computer.

the dizzy can come from the same 258 you get the crank and rods from to stroke it. with the stroking and some shaving of the block you can get your compression up to where the propane will be happy.

there is a guy on ebay in alberta that sells propane systems pulled from fleet vehicles. impco 425 with related stuff for 120ish canadian.

tanks can be mounted inside if you put them in a vaportight container that has the lowest point vented outside( think cockpit drains on a sailboat) it is however much easier to mount them outside the vehicle.

if the price difference really is between 1.10 per liter and .40per liter, i would do it.

the price is not that big a difference here but i am in the process of doing it anyway.

I will miss the renix somewhat , but the new set up will be even easier to diagnose, and less likely to need it.

and for the dumptruck.

a buddy of mine from high school has a small block chevy, turbo'd and nitrous'd running on propane somewhere in 600 rwhp range. I cannot possibly imagine even a bored and stoked jeep motor needing more fuel than that under hard acceleration.

Back