• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Installation - Hard?

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj with AC
just got quoted parts and labor to replace radiator, upper, lower and heater core hoses around $650.

wondering how diffacult this would be. it looks cramped.

i've replaced plenty of non AC, 2.5L. wrangler radiators but there was a whole lotta room there.

should i go through the knuckle busting or pay up?

2.5L or 4.0L?

Their Radiators are very very different.

I just finished replacing the radiator on my 2.5L XJ. It was fairly easy, the only difficulty was a little contortion to get the bolts that attache the AC Condenser to the front of the radiator. After that it was fairly simple.

Never done a 4.0L radiator, there are a lot of differences and the radaitors spans the entire width of the engine compartment. If you have the 4.0L, I'd wait for the advice of those how have done it.

If your radiator has the rubber cylinder combination bushing-nut, you may want to pre-order those from an online dealer. Your likely to tear at least one to pieces trying to get the bolt out of it.

Busted knuckle isn't hard, did that on my '98 two summers ago and swapped in a 3 row rad while I was at it. Just make sure you have a good source for a replacement clutch fan shroud in case you break it while swapping things out.

I just replaced my radiator out of my 4.0L w/AC. It was easy...but then again, I had the front clip off due to my engine swap. It would be a little extra work to take the front clip off, but sure worth savings a few hundred bucks, and saving your knuckles!

got my radiator on sale for $99.00, installed it a a couple of hours. i would suggest you diy and save the money. even if you need some extra parts or something, you still shouldn't have $650.00 in it! ( 4.0, aw4 auto., a/c on my rig.)

I did it not to long ago it wasn't hard.i did a tranny cooler and new water pump also so it took me alittle bit longer.

i'm sorry...i have a 4.oL

i'll have to take a closer look at it. it just seemed way to packed in there.
more than likely i will do it myself. was just wondering if there is any well know snags you run into with this procedure.

thanks

Don't be afraid to do the radiator replacement yourself. It also took me about two hours... and I'd never done this job on an XJ before.

Get the three row, all metal replacement radiator.

Unless they are faily new, change out the radiator hoses, heater hoses and clamps while you are at it.

If you have really hard water in your area, flush the block and head with a chemical cooling system flush before taking off the old radiator. Be sure you flush the system well with fresh water as the last step. Then use distilled water to mix with your antifreeze or Water Wetter. Your new radiator will last longer with distilled water. It wont get hard water mineral deposits.

These Jeeps really are easy to repair yourself. Go for it.

I just got done doing just what you need to do, but also replaced the thermostat, water pump, and valve cover gasket. The most difficult thing I ran into was the tranny lines, the lower one on the radiator would not come off, ended up replacing that line, as well as both connectors on the tranny. I went with Dorman lines, which did not fit, so ultimately ended up with dealer lines. The CSF three row I picked up locally for $200 fit perfectly. All in all the radiator is simple to do, and if you are replacing hoses, that makes it even easier since you just cut the hoses off. I used Felpro gaskets for the thermostat, as well as the water pump, installed dry as the FSM said, with the silicone bead out, and not one leak. If you do the thermostat, clean up the housing and block very well, I used lots of acetone, and a gasket scraper. Ended up using a dremel to clean up the block where the water pump was, that old gasket was on really good. Also, if you have a nipple on the drain of the new radiator, fit a piece of 5/16" X 2' hose on there, clamp, and run down and ziptie behind the bumper, it will make coolant flushes make less messy in the future. One more tip, I found the Proliance radiators from NAPA to be crap, ended up returning the one I originally got, the CSF looks/fits just like stock.

Eric

Back