• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing luggage rack bars

Jim 01XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got a pair of MOPAR sports bars that I want to replace the OEM bars with. Anybody know how to remove the bars and sliders without damaging or disassembling the whole rack system? TIA JIM

You remove the end caps and slide the mounts straight off.

That means you need to take the torx bolts out right? I am just a little concerned about the water tight seal putting them back in.

Yes, the torx screws. You can dab a little weather stripping sealant on the head of the screws if need be.

I found a diagram that showed nuts on the screws holding the rail down. How do you get to the nut withouth taking the headliner down? Seems like this is getting very complicated.

I used a fallen tree last weekend to remove the cross bars on the roof rack. The Longitudinal ones were left in great shape. I recommend it. :cheers:

Found out that there is a little panel on the slider, take that apart and parts fly everywhere. You can push it off sideways. They are off.

Aren't the screws that hold the end caps all you need to remove? I think they are screwed into welded nuts on the inside of the roof. PB Blaster is your friend but don't spray it on your paint. I sprayed it into a cup and then used a medicine dropper to put some on my torks screws. Mine came off easily after only 17 years and who knows how much weather. Used RTV clear when re-installing them.
I have the older type with just thumbscrews on each rail and some little ones to use to tie something down with.

Jim 01XJ said:
That means you need to take the torx bolts out right? I am just a little concerned about the water tight seal putting them back in.

You only have to remove two bolts one per rail. THey are the bolts that hold the little plastic ends caps on on the end of the rails. get up there and look it is very simple.

I like daffys idea though.

I removed them a different way, But it seemed to me that the diagram I have shows that the bolt goes through the rail, end cap and roof with a nut on the bottom side. I assumed this nut was not attached and would need to get to it from the inside.

I have a 97 and it was as easy as removing the 2 end caps (with one hex bolt each) and sliding them right off.

if any of u guys are getting rid of those luggage rack cross members, im trying to get a couple. The local salvage yard wants too much, im looking for the newer plastic looking ones. Thanks

im also looking for a cross bar or two,need atleast one but will buy a pair,,i need the cross bar and the push button ,end sliders. thanks for the help,,

Jim 01XJ said:
Do you need the sliders or just the cross bars?
just the cross bars and the push button ends, not the sliders that run front to back, already have those. Thanks

(I called it first lol)

Dont even have to remove the screw that holds the end cap on. Just loosen it and pull the cap free. Used to do it all the time on my 95 that way.

GoJeep is correct, you dont even need to remove that screw.
Youll like the Sport Bars. A couple drawbacks they have is that they cant be moved forward or backward as easily as the stock bars and they are slightly larger than Thule bars so you may have to work to get some of their racks to fit. They are much sturdier than Thule bars though.

Thanks guys, I actually dissassembled the locks that slide back and forth. Having said that, oo7ravisXJ I am not sure what I have is going to work for you. Looks like the only usuable pieces now are the actuall cross members and not the mounts.

Back