• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking Coolant

JoesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm leaking coolent from a part and i'm not sure what the hell it is. The heater hoses from the firewall go into it as well as the hoses coming from the engine. Anyone know what it is so I know what to look for at the parts place?

Thanks!

- Joe

I've read where people don't use it and it's true everything will run OK without it but that means you have coolant constantly running through your heater core. The valve cuts off the flow when you're not using your heater (as in during the summer when you're trying to cool the inside) and makes it easier for the A/C to do it's job. That's why it's there and that's what it's for.

ParadiseXJ said:
I've read where people don't use it and it's true everything will run OK without it but that means you have coolant constantly running through your heater core. The valve cuts off the flow when you're not using your heater (as in during the summer when you're trying to cool the inside) and makes it easier for the A/C to do it's job. That's why it's there and that's what it's for.

Agreed.

Later versions of Chrysler Vehicles got rid of it. The air door in climate control box will direct all air away from the heater core if you move the slider all the way left to cool air.

BUT, the heater core, if coolant is running thru it, will heat up and its close to the AC evaporator and still in the climate box, so arguably its heating up the vent air and/or AC, even if its a tiny bit, just by being hot and near all those things. Thus they cut off the flow coolant and let the heater core cool off when not needed.

I guess in later years they improved the climate boxes enough that a hot heater core didn't effect anything.

Remember, there is a vacuum hose going to it, if you remove it, you need to plug the vacuum hose.

Back