• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting a Solar panel on the XJ's roof?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Harbor freight has those 1.5watt solar panels that you plug into your lighter and it trickle charges your batt.

Before I ATV the crap outta the grommet in my roof going to the roof rack I was wondering what you guys thought about running lines directly to the battery and mounting the panel on the roof?

The panels only $12 on sale and figured it couldnt hurt right?

Thanks guys.

Pulling up a dead post to see if you have done this. Since I mounted my battery in the back and I have a lot of small draws off of the battery I am always having to use the battery charger to start my jeep. My orbital battery is only a year old. I was looking on ebay at some different chargers and wanted to mount it on the roof also. There look to be some decent chargers that were used during transport of VW's to keep the batteries charged. I'm just worried about hail or something breaking it.

I too am thinking about doing this for the 2 week or longer expedition trips...

jwtrapper said:
Pulling up a dead post to see if you have done this. Since I mounted my battery in the back and I have a lot of small draws off of the battery I am always having to use the battery charger to start my jeep. My orbital battery is only a year old. I was looking on ebay at some different chargers and wanted to mount it on the roof also. There look to be some decent chargers that were used during transport of VW's to keep the batteries charged. I'm just worried about hail or something breaking it.

you might consider some kind of Q/R plugs so you can easily remove/reinstall the charger when the weather craps out on you, also a consideration when you're parked where it could be stolen...

Make sure your panel is weather-proof before attaching permanently. I have one that sticks to the inside of my rear side window with suckers.

Why not get the 5 watt version for $50 (EDIT: I mean from H.F.)? It's the same watt/dollar ratio, and it should simplify mounting and wiring (EDIT: if you're planning on more than one). As far as protecting the panel, 1/8" plexiglass could be used to cover the panel without really affecting its operation.

I went to Harbor Freight today and picked up a solar panel and a charge controller. Don't know that I really needed the controller but got it anyways. The panel was on sale for $39 and the 2 year warranty was $10. The charge controller was $24. It was an easy setup wire panel to controller and controller to battery. Had it from box to charging in less than 5 min. It was sitting in my back seat and was getting enough sun to charge. I'm going to mount it on top of the jeep here in a few days when I have some more time.

5 watt panel
Charge Controller

jwtrapper said:

Have ya looked at your wiring lately:scared:, you could use my help!!............:laugh3:

Back