• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pressure bottle / closed system

MJ88SB

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA Nation.

First I want to thank those who replied to other issues I have been discovering about 4.0's .:thumbup:

I'm not ready yet to change to an open system coolling . i understand by reading thru some treads that's the best way to go.

so :hang:

Is there an aftermaket prod. to replace the orig. Or Just junkyards and dealerships?? I know it's an easy question but...........

"Best way to go?" I don't really think so - I've got five RENIX rigs one was converted when I bought it, and the other four run a little cooler anyhow.

There's really nothing wrong with the closed system used on RENIX - if it's so bad, why is it gaining popularity with OEMs? It certainly isn't cheaper.

The weak links are twofold:
1) The pressure bottle. A new bottle and cap can be had fairly cheaply (I've bought them in small batches for about $30 from www.morris4x4center.com,) and replacing it every five or so years should not be a problem. You don't lose much coolant doing the job, either.
2) The radiator. I've been informed by Jeep techs that the OEM radiators have a typical service life of 150-180Kmiles, and even they were using aftermarket replacements when they did the job (usually Modine, but I've heard good things about CSF as well. Call DPG Offroad - a sponsor - for those.)

Other than that, flush it and change the coolant every alternate year, and you should be just fine. Once those two issues are seen to, it's not any harder to maintain than the "open" system.

One more point - check out for my posts about "thermostat drilling" - it's very helpful on RENIX. Now that I've got a decent Digicam, I'm going to do a small writeup (with pix) for my website.

Thanks 5-90
I'll browse thru morriscenter to get check that bottle and i'll be keeping an eye out for ur postings on thermo - drilling.

Keep trail ridin.

for what it's worth, mac's radiators makes a nice aluminum replacement. they look pretty snazzy; i was going to go that route, but ended up converting to a closed system anyway....

Stuff I order from Morris usually shows up in about a week - coast-to-coast, you know. I've ordered quite a lot from them tho - a lot of ancillary engine parts, a front end, a brake resto - even adding in shipping, it's a significant savings for me (since everydamnthing out here is so overpriced.)

Thanks for the input : 5-90 & Ten High . I appreciate the help.
I'll be posting some more inquiries that are not related to the cooling system. S i GO FURTHER INTO THE 4.0 REALM.
Keep trail ridin'.

Thanks for the input xjtrailrider ; already order it , but since I'm actually going by one dealership to inquire about door hinges... Might ckeck that too.

Keep trail ridin'

5-90 said:
Stuff I order from Morris usually shows up in about a week - coast-to-coast, you know. I've ordered quite a lot from them tho - a lot of ancillary engine parts, a front end, a brake resto - even adding in shipping, it's a significant savings for me (since everydamnthing out here is so overpriced.)

Boy are U right man...... !!! just gave the nearest dealeship a call and the sale it here in CA for $ 72 .70 :confused1

You are correct . over price.

MJ88SB said:
Boy are U right man...... !!! just gave the nearest dealeship a call and the sale it here in CA for $ 72 .70 :confused1

Yeah. Damn near everything is overpriced out here, and don't get me started on "property values..."

The Morris bottle isn't a knockoff - it's either OEM or Crown (and I consider Crown equivalent to OEM in many cases. In the rest, it's been better...) I don't endorse PacRim knockoff cheap stuff unless I've used it and been pleasantly surprised. There's a PacRim knockoff ball joint tool in my scrap bin, for instance - I bought an OTC to replace it, and it pressed all four ball joints in and out in the time it took me to bend the Chinese press... My feelings on "Made in China" are well-known around here.

Rev Den said:
Fixed it.

:D

BUT...I do agree with the closed system, it is fine.

Rev

"I'm not opinionated - I'm just always right." Hell, just ask my wife!

Yeah, I suppose I've been around here long enough to make my opinions and feelings known on pretty much any subject by now. The thing that Californians have a hard time figuring out about me is that there's nothing to figure out - I put pretty much everything out in the open...

MJ88SB said:

Thats robbery, are they cutting you any slack at all, my Jeep dealer see's me so much that he is giving me stuff at cost+ 10%. It seems things are cheaper on the "right" coast anyway! Talk to your dealer and see if he will cut you some slack.

I know my local Jeep Parts dept Manager so well now that I know all of his kids, I even have his home number and his cell!

What can I say NAXJA nation: . Only in California. golden state = Everything priced as gold....... ;0/.

And I don't know If I'd like to know this Jeep dept mgr better .
By the look $$ of it. there might be a " Get to know me charge" also ;0)>

I'll call some other dealerships around the area just to set an avg. pricing.

So I'll keep ya'll posted soon .

I'll stick w/ the closed system.

Keep trail riding. Best regards to All.

MJ88SB said:
Indeed such $ price is the avg. $72. here in So. Cal. ........ ;0/

Hey I get jobber (cost + 5%) at the local dealership, and I've seen them so much they let me borrow paper catalogues over the week-end so I could scan them! And I still mail-order wherever possible, since Jobber costs more than mail-order (including shipping.) I just go OEMR when I'm in a hurry.

Well that's a pretty good deal to get from them !! ( dealer).

I'm expecting that bottle from UPS today..

at least this will be brought full circle.

Thank all 4 Ur advice on this particular issue 5-90 .
Regards.

Back