• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE kit install help ...

muduck18

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96, I just put my new PORC SYE in. There seems to be just a little play in the output shaft. when i push/pull on the shaft there is less 1/16"
play in the shaft.

I measured about 1/32" movement in the shaft.

can any one tell me if I am being way to precise? or should i be concerned that I missed somthing?

thats what I think too, but i was hoping some one has installed this or one like it before and would be able to tell me if thiers pulles in and out 1/32" of an inch...
Anyone?

PORC may not have made it but they put thier name on it,
sold it to me,
and shipped it to my house.

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=37_42&products_id=153

I talked to them and the guy said i must have forgotten to put somthing in.
but i double checked and everything is in that should be as far as i know.

Except for one piece that there was no mention of in the directions, and I assumed it came out with the old shaft, and it is about 3/16" thick and would put a tremendous amount of pressure on the output berring if i put it in.

My drive shaft should be done tomorrow...
Any one have any more input on this or do i drive it and hope it doesn't blow up...
Thanks...

Did you remember the snap ring on the shaft outside the tailcone? that is what keeps the shaft in place..

well, the directions said that there was no snap ring on the outside of the tailshaft berring, and there wasn't one in the kit for that location.
So I didn't put one in.
I am not even sure if there is a groove in the new tailshaft for it.

I have one in mine. Snap ring that is. You need it.

REGARDLESS. Sounds like you need to pull it apart and re-check assembly, step by step. Did you do this in the rig or out?? Doesn't matter as I did mine in.

Actually it was way easier than I thought it would be. Everyone who is sweating this install shouldn't. The hardest part is getting the cover on with the pump tube aligned right and a nice coat of RTV everywhere to get a nice seal!! Anyone who thinks it's easier to cut the shaft for a hack-n-tap is nuts.

Rocketman said:
I have one in mine. Snap ring that is. You need it.

REGARDLESS. Sounds like you need to pull it apart and re-check assembly, step by step. Did you do this in the rig or out?? Doesn't matter as I did mine in.

Actually it was way easier than I thought it would be. Everyone who is sweating this install shouldn't. The hardest part is getting the cover on with the pump tube aligned right and a nice coat of RTV everywhere to get a nice seal!! Anyone who thinks it's easier to cut the shaft for a hack-n-tap is nuts.
Thanks,
I double checked and every thing is in there. what a waste of RTV :mad: But i still get the same move ment.
I did it while it was in the Jeep

Has any one bought the PORC SYE (link Above)? any one willing to check thiers?

Hasta :huh:

A little end play (axial play)is no problem. Up and down (radial play) would be a problem. There is nothing wrong with such a small amount of end play. Now go play! And tell us how it was.

jeeperjohn said:
A little end play (axial play)is no problem. Up and down (radial play) would be a problem. There is nothing wrong with such a small amount of end play. Now go play! And tell us how it was.
I should have gotten the drive shaft rebuilt before i did the SYE because untill the shop calls and says its ready... I get to sit here and over think this ...

Back