• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading Tie Rod...

XJsurf

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wanting to upgrade my tie rod. So I've been looking at TnT, JCR and RE. Tnt would fit my budget, but I don't know do I keep the stock tie rod ends?? JCR what I could figure they sell the Rock Rod by the foot. Same thing don't really know if I need to change out the tie rod ends? RE is a little more than I want to spend. I tried emailing JCR, but maybe I can get some info from you guys. Will the Tie Rod ends on JCR work with a TnT HD Tie Rod??? Any info would be great or inputs.

I recommend Parts Mike Parts for steering stuff. Priced cheaper than you can make, and always right the first time.

JCR and Parts Mike give you pretty much the exact same product. It's a pretty good setup for what it is.

JCR is a HUGE supporter of this board and has excellent customer service.

The problem is I don't know what tie rod ends I can use. I see an assortment of them with JCR. If someone can point me in the right direction. Mucho Gracias!!

The JCR setup is a full steering replacement, and you'd be using the ones they provide, which happen to be a standard chevy part you can get at any parts house in a pinch, as well as the links that JCR fabs.

It looks like this:

onetonsteeringkitdsc.jpg

And uses these ends:
TREs.jpg

Call the guys at JCR and discuss the options with them, they are very helpfull.

(Images stolen from www.JCROffroad.com)

http://www.rockkrawler.com/
Check this one out. It's over the knuckle with no cutting or welding your sway bar or trac bar mounts. Call one of their dealers for a better price. Go to Jeep section then XJ build components on the website

Can I just upgrade my tie rod with upgrading the whole steering setup??? Is there a crossference to JCR website tierod ends to calling a local parts store for Chevy tierod ends??

If you only want a tie rod, look into Big Daddy OR...the tierod I have from them is stout as he!!

when you upgrade just your tierod, and it takes a hit. That energy is going to be transferred somewhere. Thats why I like my flexy tie rod, it absorbs a lot better than dom. ;)

I ran the Big Daddy's tie rod on my TJ for over 3 years without any failures or bends anywhere. I smacked very hard multiple times too.

I decided to use it on my my MJ too.

For $70 it works great.

96XJay said:
I ran the Big Daddy's tie rod on my TJ for over 3 years without any failures or bends anywhere. I smacked very hard multiple times too.

I decided to use it on my my MJ too.

For $70 it works great.

Will the big Daddy's tie rod match with stock tie rod ends or can I upgrade to the chevy tie rods?

Rev Den said:
Call JCR
Buy product
Bolt it in
Be done.

Rev

well its not quite bolt-on since you need to ream the knuckles and pitman arm.

once you drill n ream, you can't go back to stock TREs.

XJsurf said:
Will the big Daddy's tie rod match with stock tie rod ends or can I upgrade to the chevy tie rods?

The Big Daddy uses stock TREs so the 3/4 ton Chevy ends wont work unless you have a knack for fabbing. The Big Daddy Tierod is a nice bang for your buck but you are still using the factory draglink. upgrading to Parts mike or JCR 1 ton is definitely beefier but you are transferring your weakest link somewhere else.

Why not Rustys tierod, it is huge and comes with bigger tierod ends allready that bolt into place without place. It is the best deal for the money, $99 includes everything you need. Most other sare around that much and then you will spend $60 more for the tierod ends.

I try and steer away from Rustys. I talked with Daryl at JCR and smoothed everything out. I'm debating on the 1 ton steering upgrade or just the tie rod upgrade. I'm told I'll let him know by tomorrow, so I can place my order.

Back