• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lca bushing removal

CamoXJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I know I searched and didnt find anything that I was looking for. even tried JU with no luck. I havent replaced the lca bushings before, just the lca themselves with same kind (stock). I have changed the uca bushings and used the harbour freight 3 in 1 service kit. It doenst seem to work on the lca bushings though. Any other options? dont have access to a press, have one at work but its hard to get "government" jobs done there without getting caught.

Didnt think this one would get brought up again. Anyways I figured it out, heated up the arms (not the bushings) with a propane torch and they came right out. Used my vise and they went right back in, just needed to tap a little on the "open" ends of the arms to help them move with the bushing or they get bound up. But rather a simple process with some heat

Not knocking your methods but I recommend never heating up metal parts. It anneals the metal and makes it more prone to bending and tearing. Just my opinion.

A long time ago when I converted my stock LCAs to Poly busings and needed to get the stock ones out I did the following:

1) Using a drill and a descent sized bit (3/8ish), drill some holes through the rubber running axially in line with the bolt sleeve (stay close to the sleeve and not the outer edge so you don't mar up your LCA for the new bushing)

2) Use a trusty C-clamp and some method of spacing and crank down on the bolt sleeve to start pushing it out of the now weakened bushing. Once you can, use a set of locking pliers and then work the sleeve out.

3) Using the clamp or pliers rip what is left of the rubber bushing out of the LCA.

The other option if you really like fire and black smoke and making a mess you can't vacuum up you can just torch the rubber of the bushing, but then you risk damage to the LCA as mentioned previously.

It does take some time and some grunt work, but it does work when you are light on tools.

Back