• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior Sleeping Room? 97 2dr...

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
So... I'm thinking about camping out inside my XJ this coming up weekend on the beach with my g/f and I'm curious to know if any one has camped out or made the abck of their XJ big enough for 2 and maybe an air mattress? If so, please post up pictures or point me in the right direction! Other than folding the rear seat, what needs to be done?
me: 5'9" @ about 175lbs for space info

At 5'9" you should be fine. I'm just a smidge over 6'2" and to stretch out, I had to sleep diagonally. It wouldn't hurt to have a sheet of plywood to bridge the gap where the rear seat folds from. I recall that literally being a pain. Another thing I wish I'd had at the time were some screens for the windows or even a single one. When closed, it was just too musty, but open windows let all the flying critters in. I'll post more if I can think of anything.

air mattress

BlackJax said:
Just get one of those roof tents. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

EDIT: I mean these: http://www.hannibal.co.za/Default.asp?pageid=541

Kind of cool actually. ;)

I agree but upon looking @ their website one finds the absence of price to be a hinderance. Is there a dealership here stateside which might be able to help with a USD price?

The trick is to Pull out the bottom cushion of the back seat, it gives you about another 8 inches of space, I do that with a Full size air mattress(fit's wheel well to wheel well and center console to rear hatch), and have no complaints

the thing that will be interesting for you is getting back out since you have no back doors and the rear hatch doesn't open from the inside...now if anyone has a fix for installing an interior lever...I'd love to see how to do it

I'm 6'4.. I have to sleep on my side in a ball, haha. Deff a plus when you can't afford a tent... I took my Futon matress for mine, if you plan on any "activity's".. open the rear hatch...

Maytag said:
The trick is to Pull out the bottom cushion of the back seat...

Agreed. If you have no use for the bottom cushion, take it out before hand. If you need it, it still just pops right out and you can throw it up front 'til the morning. So take out that cushion, fold down the seat and throw in an air mattress, you'll be golden.

Maytag said:
. . . . the thing that will be interesting for you is getting back out since you have no back doors and the rear hatch doesn't open from the inside...now if anyone has a fix for installing an interior lever...I'd love to see how to do it
Easy fix I discovered when my hatch key lock was broken.

Cut a 2 x 3 inch hole in the inside hatch cover over the latch cut out (pull the inside cover, you'll see where). Then just slip a finger in and pull the lever toward you, opens right up.

You can also lock and unlock the door by sliding the square nylon piece to the side. For me it's often easier to reach up and lock the hatch with my finger than searching for the keys, of course mines only lifted a couple of inches . . . .
-----------------------
P.S. Your '97 may be a bit different than my '96. Still might work though.

Thing I hate about it is having to completely unload the back of the rig to goto sleep. So I just use a tent.

ZacSquatch said:
I'm 6'4.. I have to sleep on my side in a ball, haha. Deff a plus when you can't afford a tent... I took my Futon matress for mine, if you plan on any "activity's".. open the rear hatch...

I second that. im 6'3' and its not imposible to sleep. And if its cold just wedgeing the rear hatch open about 6 inches will give you the extra room you need.... and will also allow for some ventalation...

At WF this year me and my fiance both slept in the back of my 4-door. We're both short, less than 5' 6", and I felt we could've used some more space but it's more than enough space to sleep in.

i remember seeing a post a while back about someone who made a fold out bed out of wood that extended out of the hatch using hinges..and had legs to rest on the ground...i think its a good idea..unless its too cold. i can't find the post though, so hopefully someone knows what im talkin about and has seen the post.

ZacSquatch said:

Rofl! I actually decided after my wrangler got stolen I wanted a cherokee, for two reasons, just really wanted to own one and could double as a camper. I've got a four door and i'm 6'2" and I found it easiest, without an air matress, to have your head towards the hatch and extend the front seats all the way forward and I fit fine.

That's a big plus for me because the two camping trips I took with my wife and some friends we used a tent and it ended in disaster. First time it rained like crazy and we had to pack up the tent in the rain, packing up gear like a grill or whatever is alot easier than a tent with all your clothes inside. And the second time we had no air matress and the only ground available was rocky.. OUCH. From now on its gonna be a twin air matress in the cherokee with the open hatch towards a nice camp fire. :clap:

i am 6'4" i can barley fit so you should be fine. About that window comment ... i agree it gets very stale in there and funky if you were camping and wheeling and dont shower ... i want some solution so if you can fine a window insert of something that gets me a breeze with a way to keep the misquitos out i would be very happy.

motorcityxj said:
i am 6'4" i can barley fit so you should be fine. About that window comment ... i agree it gets very stale in there and funky if you were camping and wheeling and dont shower ... i want some solution so if you can fine a window insert of something that gets me a breeze with a way to keep the misquitos out i would be very happy.
Check out that xxxexpedition Cherokee. I think I remember him having some sort of window screens for hot weather. Might give you some ideas.

Either way... XJ's beat the wranglers in play room avaliable.... ever tried the hood? its great after its been runnin a while

i havn't really looked into it yet, but im only about 6"1' and have a hard time sleeping in the back of mine (4 door) even diagonal, so i dont know how some of you that are 6"4' do it. but how hard is it to remove the bottom cushon. it seems like if i could move that up just an inch at times id be completely confortable. let alone just completely getting rid of it

wishihad1 said:
i havn't really looked into it yet, but im only about 6"1' and have a hard time sleeping in the back of mine (4 door) even diagonal, so i dont know how some of you that are 6"4' do it. but how hard is it to remove the bottom cushon. it seems like if i could move that up just an inch at times id be completely confortable. let alone just completely getting rid of it

There is a little latch on the passenger side. You flip that and pull the seat off the stud, then just slide it out on the other side. It's like a 30 second job.

Back