• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting the catch latch of a s10 swing away on a fiber glass rear hatch.

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I had planned to pick up a s10 swing away system from the junkyard for $10. Mount the latches on the rear bumper to make it a swing-down system, and mount the catching latch on the hatch above the license plate under the glass.

This setup would block the view of the license plate which I would overcome by mounting the plate on the swing away. I mainly like this idea because it wouldn't block the view out the rear. I really could use the cargo room that the 31" spare take up for work.

However, I do have a fiber glass rear hatch. Do you guys think that a simple backing plate for the latch mount would be enough? Should I snag a metal hatch from the JY? Will a metal hatch fit on my 96 SE?

Thanks guys!

A good sized steel backing plate will be needed. An inner plate and an outer plate sandwiching the fiberglass would be best. You need to spread out the stress of the tire carrier on the fiberglass. You will also need to reinforce the bumper and tie into the body or frame for the hinge end.

Steel and fiberglass tailgates do not interchange.

This is the factory inner and out plates and they are about 6 x 4.
standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back