• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not bothering to balance tires?

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of 33's on my Jeep right now, nothing too fancy, my friend just had a set lying around (not really, it's two different brands of tire, but still good tread :D ), and since they were free, we just put them on some old 10 spoke alloys and didn't bother to balance them before I put them on my Jeep. I've taken them up to about 65 and they don't vibrate at all and actually ride nicer than the 265/75/16's I had on there before.

Apparently in my circle of friends, running unbalanced tires is quite common and I was just wondering if I could suffer any problems from this even though I'm not getting any vibes. I will be driving about 200 miles tomorrow and basically just want to know if I'm doing any damage to my jeep without knowing it, and if this is actually quite common among jeepers.

We balance to 35 inch. I can notice .75 ounce imbalance in a 15inch passenger tire,cant really say for my 33's though. Just standard practice,you'd probably notice if you ran balanced after running wheels without weight though.

When my 33s were balanced they hardly needed any weight at all, and 1 didn't need any! Of course all tires are different, and I have seen some that needed a lot of weight.

Anyway, if your not getting any vibes, chances are you won't hurt anything. If you are concerned, and just want the peace of mind, you could go the airsoft route. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80781&highlight=airsoft

Before any tires get balanced make sure the tires and wheels are absolutely clean.

You don't want dirty tires/wheels to be balanced, because when you eventually clean them they will be off balance.

My front wheels get especially dirty because of grease that leaks out of the zerk fittings when the people at Jiffy Lube put too much in.

Back