• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My right blinker no longer works

TerraWombat

NAXJA Forum User
Just out of the blue, my right blinker on my 1988 MJ stopped working. I've taken the lights all apart and replaced every single bulb in hopes that would fix the problem (plus they needed to be changed anyhow), but that did not work. I put in a new blinker relay in the fuse box under the dash...no luck. I took the front grill off and found the wires that lead to the right hand side lights. They all look fine.

Here's what it's doing. I will flick the right blinker signal and the green arrow will illuminate on the dash, and it will stay illuminated, but it will not blink. The rear lights on the right hand side will become brighter, but will not blink. The right front turn signal will illuminate, but it's very dim, like it isn't getting the proper amount of current because of a poor connection or bad ground. I sanded down the connections inside the plastic bulb connector thing, but no luck. Here's something else that seems odd. If I have my parking lights or headlights on, the right blinker arrow will stay on all the time.

Have I missed anything? Has anyone had this happen to them? I had to use the old fashioned arm signals out the window to get home from the store yesterday. And to think I scoffed at those when I was taking my license test years ago! :)

It sounds like a bad ground at the right front turn signal bulb socket. Sometimes, the connection goes bad in the socket between the ground wire and the metal prong that connects with the side of the bulb. Replace the socket with a 3 wire dual filament socket, and you should be just fine.

agreed.. thats a sign of a dead bulb(as it sees it, an open in the curcuit).
Since you changed them all. I agree it s a ground problem,...or corrosion in the bulb sockets. Make sure theres no green nasty stuff in the sockets causing an open...Or you could just use arm signals :)
arm signal.bmp

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I was almost sure that might have been the problem. I'll head to the Auto parts store sometime today and see if I can pick up one of those light sockets/pigtails.

Now, would you happen to know why my reverse lights won't go on? I guess I never realized they didn't until I was messing around with the other lights....maybe that's why people always honk at me when I reverse out of parking spaces...

OReillys has some plastic ones that will work, they're packaged as working on a Ford, but they will work. I don't like the plastic ones(I've broken them), but they will work. I prefer the metal ones, I get them at the pull a part when I can find them, don't know where to buy them new, I suppose the dealer can get them. Can't help with the reverse lights, I'm battleing that problem on my 4x4 Comanche.

Back