• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Tranny?

scarboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a friend that awants to get rid of his 2wd jeep xj....he parked it after the tranny would stall the motor at redlights and he said the tranny knocked...I havent looked at it or anything yet so I'm not sure, but it sure seems like the tranny is about to go.....What should I look for when I look at this? Is it possibly something other than the tranny?

thanks
Chris (scarboy)

how did he figure the tranny was stalling the engine?

Sounds like the Torque Converter isn't unlocking...

And 'knocking' could mean the Converter-to-flexplate bolts are coming loose.

At any rate, I'd snag it. AW4 trannys are cheap and plentiful.

:)

I seriously doubt the real problem has anything to do with the transmission. Sounds more like a typical jeep, sometimes not to expesnsive to fix, multiple cause, Jeep idle speed problem.

There a number of known, common idle speed problems that have noting to with the transmission. The Jeep AW4 (4.0 automatic AW4 that it, is that what this one has?) transmissions are real hard to kill. What year, and engine is it, manual or automatic?

Sounds like you might be able to get a great buy on good jeep!

Oh, and X2 on the knocking possibly being the flex plate bolts coming loose. Have your heard it run? Does it knock all the time, only in gear, only when cold.....get some more data for us and we can tell you more specifics.

Back