• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird cooling issue.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally got Stinky II on the road.

Last weekend we went to So Utah and every time I would climb a long straight hill the temp guage would start to climb. It was a slow steady climb and it never spiked.

When it finally hit the red I thought I better pull over but the hood was cool, the motor was cool everything was cool.

Let it sit and the guage would slowly go back down to normal and as long as I was moving slow it would stay there but under hard acceleration it would climb back up.

problem is...it never got hot....just the gauge would get that way.

Any ideas?

DrMoab said:
So I finally got Stinky II on the road.

Last weekend we went to So Utah and every time I would climb a long straight hill the temp guage would start to climb. It was a slow steady climb and it never spiked.

When it finally hit the red I thought I better pull over but the hood was cool, the motor was cool everything was cool.

Let it sit and the guage would slowly go back down to normal and as long as I was moving slow it would stay there but under hard acceleration it would climb back up.

problem is...it never got hot....just the gauge would get that way.

Any ideas?
Check your bottom radiator hose (suction side) is it collapsing and restricting water flow at higher rpms? Some lower hoses have a spring in them to help them hold their shape and prevent such a thing from happening--------Hans

how old is your water pump? You may have rusted out the impeller.
The lack of flow will keep the coolant in the radiator cool, and the engine will keep all the heat, perfect recipe for a blown head gasket...

Make sure the system is burped for air. I had that issue where the temp would get into the red pretty damn fast. I popped off the upper rad hose at the tstat housing and filled it with water, ran it, did it again. etc

Back