• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny lines............

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
is there any other place to get AW4 transmission lines other than the dealer or special order???

i would like to re-route the transmission lines on my cherokee to get them away from the exhaust and upper control arm collisions, but haven't been able to find any kind of lines with that style connection. either that or everybody around here is just that dumb and don't know they have them.

Most transmission shops can make new hardlines or rubber lines with compression fittings. I would go with hardlines where possible. Then you can route them next to the fuel lines and prevent possible damage.

I bought some through Carquest Auto parts. The maker is Dorman. They have been working great and are a fraction of what the dealer charges.

You might do a search. Someone posted something about adapter fittings to take the output/inputs on the tranny to standard AN fittings.

lawsoncl said:
You might do a search. Someone posted something about adapter fittings to take the output/inputs on the tranny to standard AN fittings.

That would be me - I've got to find my drawings and notes to get this thing underway again - it's been a busy year and a half...

In the meantime, the easiest way to handle that is to cut the hardlines with a tubing cutter or a Dremel and a cut-off wheel (do not use a hacksaw!) deburr, and use them as a base to attach 3/8" transmission or power steering hose.

Be sure to slip at least 1" of rubber hose over the hardline, apply a light bead of RTV on the outer surface of the hardline (to help with sealing,) and use two clamps - being sure to have the "end" clamp at least 1/8" from the cut end of the rubber hose, and at least 1/4" between the two clamps. The pressure in the transmission lines is "residual" (it's already done its work, so it's just enough to flow the stuff,) but the lack of a bead on the cut cooler lines necessitates the use of the second clamp and RTV.

I do need to get a few of these made and gaged, but I just got electricity back in the garage, and I've got to clean up out there and get some prototype PnP headlamp harnesses done before I can work on anything else (I've had more requests for those...)

Back