• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

idle vibration 00 XJ

MjTjNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Since I've gotten this truck, at idle or just off idle there is a vibration that I can feel in the TC shifter handle. Occasionally, it will be light enough that just putting some downward pressure on the handle does the trick. I haven't gotten under there for a good look, but I'm wondering if this is common. Linkage? Exhaust passing by? Any ideas so I know what I'm looking for under there would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Tom

there is a tsb fix on this. i got the Crown Automotive kit. (www.crownautomotive.net) you can order it through www.quadratec.com and it's really cheap. if it's not on the website, call them on the phone because i know they have it.
part #: 5014148aa
here is a how to done on a wrangler (same parts/thing):
http://www.4x4xplor.com/T-CaseTSB.html

what is basically does is add the bushing so the lever stops rattling. i no longer have to adjust it at every stop light as the sound/vibration went away. hope this helps
728014_52_full.jpg

Ok, got the parts from the stealer. Does that whole plate HAVE to come off, or could you just undo the two (bronze in the photo) nuts holding the bushing to the rod?

If not :( pull the carpet up from the middle or the edge?

i pulled the carpet up from the middle under the center console. as always, the bolts were a pain, but all in all not too bad a job. still doesn't make a sound after many many months.

Yea, i have the same problem... I just fart around with it at lights, or just crank the music like normal. Theres so many other noises to deal with.. I went under the xj and tightened the linkage a hair, helped a bit... doesnt do it as much now

Sold my XJ. Not because of this problem, but got a good deal on a trade in. I bought this kit - if anyone wants it, it's brand new, and you can have it for $15. I paid $22.

Let me know - PM.

MjTjNJ said:
Sold my XJ. Not because of this problem, but got a good deal on a trade in. I bought this kit - if anyone wants it, it's brand new, and you can have it for $15. I paid $22.

Let me know - PM.

I'll take it and I'm in NJ.

Sending PM now.

I am having exactly the same problem described here. I had it when I first go the Jeep, then I had a T-case drop on for a while and that made it stop. T-case drop off again and it is driving me nuts on a daily basis. Pushing donw on the shifter makes it stop for about 2 to 3 stop lights on average. I gotta get this kit!! Sooooo glad this is common and has an actual documented fix.

when i started having this problem a couple years ago, i simply adjusted my TC linkage so that the shifter lightly rested against the front of the gate (towards the front of the car)

even now, it doesn't make any noise at all and i have no problems going shifting through 4H and 4L

Back