• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Onboard air tank placement options

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
I'll be mounting my Viair compressor underhood and I've found an alum 1-gal skinny tank that I can mount underhood or worst case, in there rear or under pass seat. My goal is to able to air up tires and run my dual ARB's and since this is a fresh install, I want to do it right the first time around.

I've searched and found several setups in the cargo area, but I'm not willing to give up that space.

TIA

I plan on mounting mine underneath, but i've got lots o room on the MJ. Have you looked underneath your XJ for a place that you could mount the tank and put protection over it?

What about bumpers as air tanks?

See if it will fit under the radiator. The small tank I'm using clears the crank pulley by a couple of inches.

Try in the back of a bumper.
I am fitting mine in the transmission tunnel toward the rear or across the back above the diff.

I came across this set up somewhere and think it looks pretty sharp. I'll be doing mine like this, when I step up and get one.
4706Viair_install_2.jpg

What are the dimensions of the tank?

1 gal tank is really small, wont even fill up one tire, but will work fine for the arb. I made 2 tanks, totaling 3gallons, and placed them inbetween the bumpers and the jeep. one in the back, on in the front and have a air hose connecting the 2. Putting them there puts them out of the way of hitting any road obstacles, and doesn't take up any space inside the jeep. a 1 gallon skinny tank should fit pretty easily. I'll see if i can take some pictures tomorrow to give you an idea.

Ericsxj had one under his for a while, don't know if it's still there or not.

oba61.jpg

oba60.jpg

My Puma compressor came with a 1.5 gallon tank, that I mounted above the diff, on the driver's side.

I had a small tank made with 4" tubing mounted right behind the front crossmember. It fit there very well, and didn't take up any otherwise "useful" space.
I wish I could get pics, but I ended up going to a 5gal tank in the hatch.

What about drilling and tapping your rock rails? 2x4x60 gives you 480 cubic inches of air per side if its 5 ft long... Shouldn't be able to put a hole in them and they are there anyway... Right?

yossarian19 said:
What about drilling and tapping your rock rails? 2x4x60 gives you 480 cubic inches of air per side if its 5 ft long... Shouldn't be able to put a hole in them and they are there anyway... Right?

As long as the welds are air tight, this shouldn't be a problem, and has been done a lot. It would be advisable to add a drain plug to them as well to remove any condensation build up.

Darned good idea on the drain plug - would be a shame to paint them up with rusoleum and then have them eaten from inside...

Back