• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to put sensors for extra gauges

Bouncy

NAXJA Forum User
I want to hook up an oil pressure gauge and temp gauge.

I don't want to disconnect the stock gauges...just want to hook in a couple of autometers to get extra numbers.

Any ideas??

Right after I clicked submit, i saw the word 'sensors'. Doh.

Oil pressure, you should be able to put a T where the stock sensor goes, and run both. Water temp I imagine you could do something simular, as long as it isn't so long that it removes one sensor out of the flow of water.

Would be easier to get a stock gauge cluster with the gauges already there, and then just get a new oil pressure sensor and coolant temp sensor.

For Oil Pressure do what Cal said and use a T fitting in the stock location and for oil temp you can either attach a thermocouple to the dipstick end or drill a hole in a drain plug and put in a fitting. Those are the ways we measure the temps where I work.

I have the stock gauges and they work. Though I question the temp gauge since it would read 210, then 150, then 210, then 150 within about 1 minute of driving. Like the t-stat was opening then closing and back open etc.

So I figured a sweep autometer gauge from 1??-280 temp would tell the real story..and oil pressure read by numbers rather than lines and the guessing game. So I got a 0-100psi oil gauge.

I have the dual pod for the pillar...Just trying to figure out the sender/sensor spots. Oil I think will be fine with the T setup as mentioned. Pressure to each spot should be the same.

Temp though...I pull from the back side of a 7120 head and side of the block for the computer. Was thinkin of pullin the pipe plug from the other side of the block and putting the temp sensor on passenger side of block. But wasn't sure if it was pulling a good temp at the block compared to the back of the head. Which is known to be the hotest part of the motor.

Sorry...TEMP as in RADIATOR...or Coolant temp.

I guessed everyone would think temp as in water temp and not oil temp.

ah well..I will do better on first post next time :D

I kind of figured it out after posting. For coolant temp I would say just put it in the upper coolant pipe. The difference in temps throughout the engine won't be but a few degrees C.

Just thought...I could put it in the sensor port of that gooseneck. I don't use the sensor hole cause I can't find a sensor to that workst to trigger the electric fan.

Guess I will dump that dead sensor and put it in there. Though i wonder what the temp difference would be from the gooseneck to the back of the head.

It should be warmest at the thermostat. I don't know the coolant path in the 4.0 but I would think the coolant would start at the back of the engine and move forward toward the T-stat. Now combustion temperatures in each cylinder being fairly even and the heat transfer rate being even the coolant that has been in the engine the longest would be the warmest. If my assumption of the coolant flow is right then it should be warmest at the T-stat.

Back