• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a Yes or No

435Mj

NAXJA Forum User
Im buying rims and tires. I was going twards 32x11.5's but now im back to 31'sx10.5's. I know there are alot of BS and tire questions, but I only need a confermation before I buy. Im going to get the Crager soft 8's as they are the most econimical. I am planing on 31x10.5' on a 15x8 rim with 4.75 BS, with 4.5" of lift......sound good to you guys? I was going to get a rim with 4.5" BS but crager dosent make them. thanks tim

P.S I have done alot of searching and I think im on the right track. Just need some yes or no's

Yes.
Although it is a shame to run 4.5" and only 31s.

I know, but like alot of people its my DD and I dont have money for gears yet. Next is protection, then gears. I should learn to wheel then go bigger I think,Im very green. I think I have a good start tho. RE 4.5" full packs, Porc sye(very upset w/ the servise..1st time customer),RE 4&6 degree shims, crager soft 8's,92 auto front ds(getting re-tubed) k&n filter,rustys air tube,flowmaster cat back. and getting some type of M/T tire in the very near future. Im totaly stock right now so im going to go from stock to very capable in a weekend. Its going to be a fun build, with lots of pics. tim

Trust me go for the 32's you will find out why later on. Even if it is your DD 32's don't effect the acceleration that much and they just look better then 31's with 4.5" of lift. Personally I am about to run 33's with 4.5" lift and my xj is my DD.

Don't forget, 4.10's are easy to get 'cause they came stock with 4banger's with a stick (5 speed). Just something to consider since it's easier when it's all apart to replace them. Get the 32's. I had 31's and hung up on everything. You'll get a lot of practice recovering though!

I personally run my 10.50's on a 15x7" rim with 4"bs.Works perfect,widens the stance a little bit for added stability which is always a good thing on lifted vehicles.I can turn full lock to full lock and my 34's stuff well....I'd say you'll lose a little turning radius with 4.75 bs and 10.50's(not much) because you **might**have to crank out the steering stops a bit to keep the tires out of the lower control arms.

but what do I know.....

Last edited:
I would run the stock rims for the 31's.
If I was to get new rims I would stick with a 4.0 or 4.25" BS.

Michael

Save yourself some time and $. Get the 32's now because you will end up getting them later. I started out with 30's. I was happy for about three months. Then I went to 33's and was happy for about two months. Now I want 35's

I have 32's on mine right now, even though I have 4.56's, I drove it with the stock 3.55 for couple months and it wasn't that bad. Tranny got a little hot on some long steep freeway grades, but put it in 3rd and you should be okay. Awesome freeway mileage, i was averaging 16-17 mpg on the freeway. For wheeling, 4lo is still good, no wories there. But either tire size you decide on, i would go at least 4.25" backspacing. puts the tires a little farther out to help with clearance issues, and widens the stance for better handling. I got 3.75" backspacing with 32/11.50 bfg mt, the RE 3.5 lift and can turn the wheel without any rubbing issues. It also helped a lot with stability compared to the stock rims. Either way you go, have fun!

Thanks for the posts everyone. I want the 32s or bigger trust me! But I have a 5spd and 3.07s and idk how well the tranny will like 32s or bigger without gears. I'v been stock pileing parts for about a year and a half now and I just want to get her up and start wheeling. But back to the BSing (lol) so 4.75 will still make the rim sit in to far? So I would be better off going with 31s and 4.25?? thanks tim

I like the wide stance of 3.75", extra stability, and my 11.50" wide tires just barely stick outside the fender. 4.25" is also good, especially if you prefer the tires to be inside the fender. I would go between 3.75-4.25.

I have 31's on stock wheels...
3" lift that has sagged down to closer to 2" or less by now.

I rub a little on the LCA's at full lock and flexed out.

Dude, seriously, if you have a manual tranny even with 3:07's, you'll be fine with 32's.
I have an auto and 3:55 with 31's and have no problems.

Dose everyone think I should go 32's?
How will the 3.07's do?
If I go 32's should I run 3.5 BS?

Keep in mind the jeep has like 190,00 and idk if it has the original trans or not.

Let me know what you think i just got my tax return and I wana get my rims and tires ASAP.

yes

xj_toker said:
Dose everyone think I should go 32's?
How will the 3.07's do?
If I go 32's should I run 3.5 BS?

Keep in mind the jeep has like 190,00 and idk if it has the original trans or not.

Let me know what you think i just got my tax return and I wana get my rims and tires ASAP.

I only offer this out because I this is your DD. Are you going bigger and wider for looks or for performance? Im not too far from you and have found the larger and wider you got the more float/push you get in the snow... just something to think about for our area... I could be wrong though... chime in if you think so.

so on a 15x8' rim

31x10.5 with 4.25 BS

or

32x11.5 with 3.5 or 3.75 BS

Am I close yet?

The smaller the number the farther out the rim sits from stock BS which is like 5.25 right?

Last edited:
i think the BS of 4.75 is to far in.... go the 4" if not at least 4.5" dont do 4.75 and the width ive heard 7" is great anything wider cuts into your flex...

xjwisconsin said:
I only offer this out because I this is your DD. Are you going bigger and wider for looks or for performance? Im not too far from you and have found the larger and wider you got the more float/push you get in the snow... just something to think about for our area... I could be wrong though... chime in if you think so.

Im lifting my truck and getting bigger and better tires with more tread contact because Im going to be usung it, its deffinitly not a show and shin rig. When you say a bigger tire floats/pushes do you mean as a good thing? Because im always in the snow. thanks tim

Can i get away with 32x11.5 with 4.00 BS, i just noticed that crager dosent have 3.75???

Last edited:
Back