• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build Checklist

dlarrivee

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ

ARB Bullbar
Tube Sliders
Warn XD9000 Winch
TNT 5.5" Y-Link System
JKS Shock Conversion + BPE
Bilstein 5150 shocks
Kilby York OBA
ARB Air Lockers (front + rear)
Regear (front + rear)
33" or 35" Toyo Open Country MT Tires (5)
Rockcrawler 15X8 (3.75"BS) Black Steel Wheels
Advance Adapters SYE
Custom Rear Drive shaft

I'll be stock piling parts (except custom, measure to fit) until I have everything, then one weekend of non-stop work should have me pretty capable...

Am I missing anything as far as small parts I may need to make things work together nicely? Does the parts in my current checklist look compatible?

Thanks

Looks pretty good to me, the only thing I have is make sure you have a rear tow point, and if you go with 35" Toyos I would step up to a 10" wide wheel as the tires are 13.5" wide. but im sure someone else will have more to say.

Good call. I was hoping to get some sort of custom rear bumper with anchor points on it. I'm still not sure if I want 35" or 33" tires, since it is a DD...

Well if this is truley going to be a vehical that goes offroad I would scratch the toyo M/T tires. They are more orientated twords big heavy trucks with big wheels that drive on the street. They are a Mud Terrain tire but I have never been impresed anytime I have seen them. A BFGoodrich M/T or a Goodyear MT/R would be much better. The rubber is softer and more flexible and the side walls also balloon out much better when aired down. I could think of many other tires besides the Toyo's for a vehical that goes offroad. The Toyo's they use in competiton are a different tread compound also!!

Word of advise:
Do the SYE before you do the TnT kit. The belly pan makes it a PITA to do the SYE. Its possible, but a real pain to do.

Id look at other bumpers instead of the ARB

And maybe try and get a HP 30 in exchange for your lp30, and a 8.8 or 44 for the back if you have the 35.

jeepboy381 said:
Oh yeah a steering box brace would be nice, brake lines, bigger tie-rod, and if it is a automatic get a decent tranny cooler.

Brake lines, bigger tie rod....

Are you familiar with the TNT Y-Link package?

The ARB bumper is too heavy possibly?

I'm not stuck on the Toyos either, I'd be happy with BFG MTs too.

I was thinking about putting a beefier axle in the front and the back, I just don't have alot of experience building them... Can you get axles with all new housing, axle shafts, manual hubs, ring + pinion, Air Locker, brakes, steering knuckles etc built? Maybe a 9 inch rear and a D44 up front?

Last edited:
Currie makes nice Ford 9" axles... :)

I'm wondering how well the stock NP231 will stand up, I see JB Conversions sells an NP231HD with SYE already done...

Over knuckle steering is probably a good idea too.

dlarrivee said:
I was thinking about putting a beefier axle in the front and the back, I just don't have alot of experience building them... Can you get axles with all new housing, axle shafts, manual hubs, ring + pinion, Air Locker, brakes, steering knuckles etc built? Maybe a 9 inch rear and a D44 up front?
Those are rather expensive. If you have the money, then by all means go for it.

You can always swap axles that are compatible/semi bolt in.
ie HP30, Rubi LP44ish, D44 Cherokee, 8.8 Ford.

dlarrivee said:
2000 X

I'll be stock piling parts (except custom, measure to fit) until I have everything, then one weekend of non-stop work should have me pretty capable...

Thanks
One weekend? Do you have a NASCAR crew on cristal?

Ford 8.8 with 4.10s already in it (cost as much as regearing your 8.25.) + you get disc brakes.
Tie Rod FOR SURE - Big Daddy, only $80.
99 Dodge Dakota/Durango 4x4 steering box.
Crok style (homemade) frame plate

steering [more then just the tie rod i think]
gas tank skid
differentail covers...
different front bumper. search ARB bumper they fold like soda can [get a Rigidco]
you dont need 5150's all around.. 5100's rear..
spend a little under the hood too..
throttle body [not spacer]
drop in K&n at least..
maybe new plugs and wires too...
um..

Axles?

well now
thats a nasty question.

looking at about $4G rear and 5G front built up from scratch...

from Currie or dynatrac...:wow:

Lots of options for axles read the sticky: :clap: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80707

you are off to a good start.. just search and search and search and think about it some more..... call local builders and talk to people too...

always makes it interesting...

:eye:

I'd probably be better off buying an old wagoneer for a grand and building the D44s from it, way cheaper.

As for the shocks, you say 5100s are fine for the rear, are 5150s worth getting for the front?

I wanted to redo the steering to a knuckle over tie-rod drag-link setup, a stronger P/S box is in order I'll look into the 99dodge setup.

TOOLS......:laugh:
dlarrivee said:
2000 XJ

ARB Bullbar
Tube Sliders
Warn XD9000 Winch
TNT 5.5" Y-Link System
JKS Shock Conversion + BPE
Bilstein 5150 shocks
Kilby York OBA
ARB Air Lockers (front + rear)
Regear (front + rear)
33" or 35" Toyo Open Country MT Tires (5)
Rockcrawler 15X8 (3.75"BS) Black Steel Wheels
Advance Adapters SYE
Custom Rear Drive shaft

Am I missing anything as far as small parts I may need to make things work together nicely? Does the parts in my current checklist look compatible?

Thanks

dlarrivee said:
As for the shocks, you say 5100s are fine for the rear, are 5150s worth getting for the front?
There are poeple on here that run 5150's.... i have been told by a local builder they are overkill... that they are designed more for a hi heat situation, such as baja! Buuutttt i still think they are good for our application.

Anyways.. Jason over at Jeepin just put out a review for 5150's:

http://jeepin.com/features/bilstein5150/

I still plan on running them eventually.. when i need'em.... um afford them.. uh yeah. :eek:

if you are looking to gather all these parts and do axles your inasane if you think you can do it all in one weekend even if you have 500 people working on it lol ooo ya why dont you build a cage while your spending all this $

Back