• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeeking from steering up front at low speed.

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Not a grinding, doesn't sound horrible. Its just an annoying squeeking at low speed in parking lots.

Just wondering if I should just go to town on all the grease fittings I see down there or if there was something I should be looking for?

Thanks Guys!

Thats where I would start, grease all the fittings and inspect everything in the front suspension and steering. Don't forget the shaft from the steering column and its seal on the firewall, I've had other vehicles that developed a squeak at the seal on the firewall for the shaft out of the steering column. A little lubed worked into the seal curred the squeak.

Its definitely a squeak and not serpentine belt screech, right?

My 96 squeeked when I made slow turns at lights, in and out of parking lots, that sort a thing. Ended up my front u-joints were very dry and needed to be replaced, no more squeekers...

Had the same problem, grease anything with a zerk up front, and it should go away. While your under there check the steering box bolts and make sure they aren't pulling through the sheetmetal!

New belt from napa, and wiping off the pullys with a clean rag should fix that right up!

If your running a sway bar check your rubber bushing, this was my problem. As for the belt make sure it is at the right tension. You can rub it with a bar of soap this will also make that sound go away.. For a while..

While you're at napa buy the belt tensioner guage. You'll be surprised how tight the belt really needs to be, when I used to eyeball them I bet it was 15-20% under tightened
IslanderXJ said:
New belt from napa, and wiping off the pullys with a clean rag should fix that right up!

Back