• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle vibe

littlebluexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok my problem is that I just bought a new jeep it is a 92 with 185K on it. I went wheeling saturday. On the way I was told that my rear axle was bouncing up and down. I coould feel it a little slight vibration, but it wasn't to bad. well on the way back from the trip it was realy bad. Almost felt like DW but not from the front. I was also told that on the way back the rear end was close to catching air.

What could be causing this, need to get it fixed this is my DD.

Thanks Will.

Worn Out Shocks combined with Over Sized Tires/Wheels that are out of balance?

Like any suspension problem, and most problems in general, inspect closely the problem area and look for things that are wrong.

out of balanced tires could cause it. I have ran no shocks on my lifted jeep and it didn't do this. Also how likly is a bent axle shaft or worped gear set a problem?

I think its the combination of the Tires Being Out of Balance and the Shocks being Worn Out. It possible for one or the other to do it alone, but it would have to be at the extreme of the situation. I'm guessing you would feel that in the vehicle, since he barely felt anything, I'm guessing its a combination.

I've seen shocks so bad the rear axle looked it was going to get air, it bounced so violently, but the bounce was induced by going over bumps. Not very big one either, but the shocks have to be really really worn to get to this point, like they offer no resistance at all.

Same thing, tire out balance, bouncing that bad? It would have to be extreme, or over sized tires/wheels might do it, if out of balance.

Don't forget, mud in the wheels and tires can throw it out of balance. Might be why you only felt it and it was worse, just after you went Wheelin. Haven't you ever seen, "My Cousin Vinny"?

jack up the rear and put some jack stands under the rear axle and put it in drive and give it some gas. If it still bounces, then its either a bent driveshaft or tires/rims out of whack. if its smooth at any speed, then perhaps worn shocks or suspension

ok got it fixed. I had a bent rim I tried forever to balance it with no luck so I am running my spare for now till I can pick up another 31" Thanks for all the help.

Will

Back