• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Dent(pics)

maine96xj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a large dent right where the manifold meets the downpipe.

i was just wondering if anyone could fill me in on how this could of happened(i had a bad motor mount before, could the movement have affected it?)

also how serious does this look to you?

what am i looking at for prices. to do it myself and to just say screw it and get it done somewhere?(eveything looks pretty rusty and siezed)
S5000756.jpg

S5000758.jpg

also if smack the cat with your hand and it rattles odes that mean it junk? not just the heat shield though...something inside rattles.

thanks in advance for the help.

Owen

Hey i have the same dent and i am not sure how it got there. But my jeep runs the same so i think of it as not even being there. sorry i cant be more help

yeah, it's factory. they're all bent to hell like that. dont sweat it.

but yeah, if your cat rattles, it's going or gone, get a replacement. I got one from Summit for $102. I didn't bother to check locally as I was ordering an entire exhaust at the time anywho.

thanks san diego. i get good deals at the local parts place so im gunna see if i can get a cat there.

i just dont get the purpose of that dent fromt he factory? theres nothing in that area it has to clear.

I believe it's for driveshaft clearance when the suspension is really being cycled.

riverfever said:
I believe it's for driveshaft clearance when the suspension is really being cycled.

when i first saw that I thought the same. would a dent like that restrict any flow and performance? cuz if you're lifted u prob wouldn't need that clearance there anyways right?

well mine was bent and mine was actually by jumping and bottoming out. had a bent upper arm and pinched my pipe shut. got that replaced and a new cat and was burning up the tires. soo much more power. was amazing

rooster87 said:
when i first saw that I thought the same. would a dent like that restrict any flow and performance? cuz if you're lifted u prob wouldn't need that clearance there anyways right?

I don't know about getting a lot of new power from a downpipe that's not bent. I suppose you get something but when you're running bigger tires...I don't know if you'd really feel it. I'm too busy drinking coffee and listening to Garcia to worry about flyin' down the road anyway.

so if the cat rattles when you smack it does that mean its bad? becuase mine rattles all the time(like theres something moving around inside of it) and i have noticed about a 4-5mpg drop in my fuel economy

could be if its broke bad enough. Its basically a honeycomb structure in there... Often cat failure starts with a bad O2 sensor, that makes your jeep run too rich, then the extra fuel overloads the cat and blocks it and over heats it. Then i breaks. Often when the cat is clogged enough you actually have a loss in power too. You can also break it if the exhaust hangars are off or not in place and it rattles too hard or you hit it on a rock or something.

I would consider a new O2 sensor and a new cat together. Depending on the year, they arent too expensive, probably around 100 bucks. (Not exactly cheap either) Newer ones with multiple sensors etc cost more.

KH

i ahve a 96, it has two sensors one in cat and one in manifold. so should i change both of them?

becuase i heard an o2 sensor is like 100 a piece then the 100 cat.

anyone got prices on o2 sensor?

Or you could be like me and say screw the cost of a new cat and put a strait pipe in its place! That is if you live in a place where they don't require admission testing.

My 96's cat was rattleing like none other. I was able to get a free one from the dealer due to a recall. They reprogrammed the computer and i got a new cat. You should look into that everyone loves free parts.

Back